Hello everyone, I just purchased an 85' 4X4 Sunrader 18ft. & it has the 14" Rims in the rear (6 lug /1 ton full floating) & 15's in the front. I know it should have the 15" rims all around if I were to use 4WD. I know I will not be using the 4WD because I wouldn't want to take it off road nor drive it in the snow, etc. So you ask why did I get the 4X4...because of the looks. My question to you all is: Without incurring the extra cost of buying 15" rims....what is the tallest tire size I can put on the 14's that would almost match the size of the front. Would this be okay to do? I need new tires for the rear since they are becoming cracked from age. If I can get away with a taller tire SAFELY I would much rather go that route. If not, I will bite the bullet & get 15" rims. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards, Roxanne

I think that's a question for a tire shop. I doubt you will be able to find the same diameter with the same load range that you need. Don't be misled in thinking its just an 18 footer and its lighter. Our 4x4 sunrader weighed in at 6800 pounds + fully loaded for a 10 day trip. Besides the fact that you can not use 4x4 with mismatched tire diameters I would make sure the rear and front gear ratios are the same. Your rear axle obviously was installed as a retrofit and may have a different ratio than your front gears. I am pretty sure I know which 4x4 you bought and the seller if it is the same had inquired about the cost of 15 inch rims from www.stocktonwheel.com and hopefully he brought that info forward to you.

Right now your speedometer is probably reading faster than you are actually going. The bad result of that is after a few years your odometer will show more miles than you have actually traveled, could be a resell factor in the future.

Someone told me that there is a possibility that Dodge 15inch 6 lug duallys will bolt up. Stockton wheel I believe wanted almost $200 each for the rims. That did not include shipping.

I think that's a question for a tire shop. I doubt you will be able to find the same diameter with the same load range that you need. Don't be misled in thinking its just an 18 footer and its lighter. Our 4x4 sunrader weighed in at 6800 pounds + fully loaded for a 10 day trip. Besides the fact that you can not use 4x4 with mismatched tire diameters I would make sure the rear and front gear ratios are the same. Your rear axle obviously was installed as a retrofit and may have a different ratio than your front gears. I am pretty sure I know which 4x4 you bought and the seller if it is the same had inquired about the cost of 15 inch rims from www.stocktonwheel.com and hopefully he brought that info forward to you.

Right now your speedometer is probably reading faster than you are actually going. The bad result of that is after a few years your odometer will show more miles than you have actually traveled, could be a resell factor in the future.

Someone told me that there is a possibility that Dodge 15inch 6 lug duallys will bolt up. Stockton wheel I believe wanted almost $200 each for the rims. That did not include shipping.

Thanks Greg - I know I have the 4.10 in the front & this may be a very stupid question but how do I know what I have for the rear. Is there a placard somewhere? And if it indeed does have different ratio's what are my options?

I have found this website to be helpful in determining the ratio assuming this applies to duallys as well.

http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/

From the pictures, it appears to me that I have the V6/Turbo rear diff. I will try turning the wheel to see what revolutions I come up with. Unfortunatley I have to wait a couple weeks since the Toy is in Florida right now & I am in NC. I will keep you posted on what I come up with.

Below are some pictures of what I have. (I hope they come through).

post-2648-1243290412_thumb.jpg

post-2648-1243290457_thumb.jpg

There are some sites on the net that can give you the answer your looking for wheel and tire. Next time you might want to downsize photo so it does not take so long to load, not all of us have the super high speed connection.

Jack up one rear tire and place it securely on jackstands.

Put the transmission in neutral.

Rotate the driveshaft clockwise just enough to take the slack out of the gears.

Mark the wheel at a spot plainly visible from underneath the vehicle.

With the slack still taken up with clockwise pressure, mark the companion flange where the driveshaft bolts to the rear end... mark it at 12 o' clock

Then turn it clockwise until the free spinning wheel makes exactly 4 revolutions.

Note where the mark is.

If its between 9 and 10 o' clock, you have 3.9 gears

If it's between 2 and 3 o' clock, you have 4.1 gears

If it's just past 7 o' clock, you have 4.3 gears

You could also try to look for the axle tag... See:

http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/article/...l.jsp?id=274535

Most likely it is the 4.10 ratio, that's pretty much the stock set. And you are correct you do have the V6 differential, all the 1 ton axles are the V6 type. You can take the third member from the rear axle of any V6 pickup and it will bolt right in. I would definitely give www.stocktonwheel.com a call and inquire about other vehicles that may just bolt up to the toyota axle. Could be considerable less than a new set.

Most likely it is the 4.10 ratio, that's pretty much the stock set. And you are correct you do have the V6 differential, all the 1 ton axles are the V6 type. You can take the third member from the rear axle of any V6 pickup and it will bolt right in. I would definitely give www.stocktonwheel.com a call and inquire about other vehicles that may just bolt up to the toyota axle. Could be considerable less than a new set.

I phoned both Stockton Wheel & Custom Commercial Wheel. It turns out that Custom Commercial Wheel is the supplier for Stockton Wheel. Custom quoted me a much lower price than Stockton so I placed the order with them for 15x6 w/ 6x7.25 b.c. standard offset. Could not get an answer on what other vehicles may just bolt up to the toyota axle. I am kinda tired of all this research so I just went ahead and ordered the brand new spankin' rims to be done with it. Amen. Thank you everyone for your help & advice. I will take pictures when I get these new sneakers on.

It's me again with another stupid question. I ordered the 15" rims from Custom Commercial Wheel. They said that I could run 215's, 225's or 235 75 R15's. I thought I had 225's on my front but it turns out I am running 235 75 R15. The dual rim size being made is 15x6 w/6x7.25 b.c. standard bolt pattern. My question is: Can I run 235's on the duals to match the front or is that too wide of a tire. If so, would 215's be okay for the rear with keeping the 235's up front? Thanks once again. - Roxanne

What ever size you run they must match the diameter of the front and be at least LT load range C or D. You may have to buy all 6 to make them match. You will have to visit your local tire shop and see what they can get you in load range C or D LT (Light Truck)