Holy dirty injectors!

Odyssey 4x4

We recently took the Odyssey on its first long trip, around 1300 miles. We lost a cylinder a few hours from home and a few hours later, we lost another! The issue turned out to be some really dirty injectors. I found a shop to replace the two failed injectors (since I didn't have the tools with me to do an injector change in a friends drive way), and wouldn't you know it, on the way home we lost an injector in another cylinder. I would have had the shop replace off of them, but it was a struggle to find just those two in the small town we were in. I'm thinking the fuel injector cleaner I put in it a few tanks of fuel ago must have broken a bunch of crap loose and clogged up the injectors. When I got home I pulled the intake off and replaced all remaining injectors, it runs much better now. Also, we had a great trip! 

IMG_5863.jpg.1a5ad26cc84c01a11cd7f47d54216fca.jpg

IMG_5902.JPG.aebe46117c628e3a770e93f698049a7a.JPG

IMG_5914.JPG.2ecf64a7bdffd6c3fc395edf17116b75.JPG

Edited by Odyssey 4x4

Such a cool rig. Glad you found some help, and it didn’t ruin the trip! Guess you got to see what driving a 4 cyl RV might be like! 😬

I run Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant through my 3VZE regularly, but you got me wondering now… btw, what new injectors did you use? I’ve got a noisy one that I’m watching. 

9 hours ago, Ctgriffi said:

Such a cool rig. Glad you found some help, and it didn’t ruin the trip! Guess you got to see what driving a 4 cyl RV might be like! 😬

I run Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant through my 3VZE regularly, but you got me wondering now… btw, what new injectors did you use? I’ve got a noisy one that I’m watching. 

Haha, thanks! My first toy home was a 22re and had way more power than this did when down 2 cylinders! I'm lucky the shop was only 3 minutes from a family members place, I had the pedal to the floor and was doing 25 mph with a line of angry people behind me. I ended up using injectors from Advance auto, probably not advisable but it was my only option at the time and I didn't want to spend over $600 on new injectors for this. I've always had a backup plan of swapping a 3.4 into this if this 3.0 needed any expensive work. I slapped these injectors into it and will likely just run its for a year and build a 3.4 in the meantime and save the $ for the other parts needed for the swap. 

1 hour ago, Toycollector47 said:

Got me wondering how much injectors might be playing a part with my 93 4Runners emissions problems….

I should have mentioned I also had check engine light codes 25 and 26, aka rich AND lean. Sounds like the code could have been a result of the injectors. We will see if it comes back on. If it does, I'm suspect of the O2 sensor, but the damn thing is so rusted on that I'm going to have to replace the entire section of exhaust. I'll crawl under it soon and ohm check the O2 sensor that's on it.