Restoring sun faded plastic

Paul McNeil

Being a new Toyota Odyssey owner, I have a few questions about how to "Clean Up" the outside trim. There are a few places like the trim around the door window and some of the roof vents (all plastic) that have turned black with sun fading. Am I safe just to pull these, clean, primer and repaint with some type of plastic paint, or is there a better way to go about this?

Thanks!

Edited by Paul McNeil

If you are talking about the vents the best method is to just replace them they are cheap and any RV dealer will have them either tinted or opaque. There are two different types so have a look at yours before you go. The vent pipe covers are probably shot too they are replaceable also. The door I would guess you could paint the trim don't see why not.

Thanks for the reply! What about AC and swamp cooler covers? I am also thinking of repainting the access covers on the outside, what type of paint would you recommend? Tonight I discovered a water leak in the bathroom, turns out the whole thing is plumbed with the old "recalled" gray pecks line, looks like there were a few hose clamps at places where they had sprung leaks before. Should I replace all of the lines with the new stuff, or invest in a bunch of hose clamps? Sorry for all of the questions, but this is the first RV I have owned!

Thanks!

Paul, I used plastic paint 'Fusion' on my AC cover about 3 years ago and it still looks good. I also used the plastic paint on plastic pieces insde the camper, anything that had turned yellow, ie the inside AC cover, etc. As far as plumbing goes that would have to be your call and how much expense and effort you want to put into the project. If leaks keep popping up then pipe replacement is in order otherwise you go with cheap and easy.

I would use an enamel paint on the outside compartment doors that closely match the RV color.

Below is a picture of the interior of my 83 Sunrader with the painted inside AC cover in Satin White.

Allen

post-481-1242928024_thumb.jpg