Water pump?

BigWaveDave

Just recently noticed that my tempurature guage has been going up to almost the red zone,then back to middle,then back up.Does anyone know if i need a new water pump or a thermostat?

Edited by BigWaveDave

What year and engine? I have seen water pumps with the pump fins worn down. The thermostat is an easy replacement and is a common overheat cause. A bigger radiator is a plus also. All that said there can be other reasons for overheating. Clogged radiator, engine timing, bad clutch on the fan if there is one, even a plugged catalytic converter. Give us the year and engine, it will be easier to give ideas.

What year and engine? I have seen water pumps with the pump fins worn down. The thermostat is an easy replacement and is a common overheat cause. A bigger radiator is a plus also. All that said there can be other reasons for overheating. Clogged radiator, engine timing, bad clutch on the fan if there is one, even a plugged catalytic converter. Give us the year and engine, it will be easier to give ideas.

Its a 1988 22r fuel injection.The timing is off also,how do i set the timing?

You'll need a timing light and a small wire or parper clip to jumper two pins in the diagnostic connector under the hood. You have to short E1 and T together to properly set the timing look at the label on the hood for the timing settings.