I came across a photo of an EFI intake that was designed specifically for a 20R head. Being curious, I Googled and Googled until I found this link http://www.well.com/user/mosk/DaveGsMotor.html

It has a juicy tidbit regarding "Dave G's monster 20R/22RE turbo hybrid" ....."[it has a] 22r with JE 8 to 1 pistons, LC engineering stage five head with turbo cam 264 duration .510 lift, stainless steel 1 5/8 turbo header made by myself, Force Fuel injection custom made intake and plenum utilizing a Ford Motorsport 65mm throttle body with 83lb accel injectors, Turbonetics 60-1 turbo with a .81 AR and a P-trim wheel sized to support approx. 550 horsepower, turbonetics racegate and godzilla blow off valve and a big old intercooler. Intercooler piping is 2 1/2 inch and the downpipe is 3". Ignition is handled by a MSD digital six plus and controlled by the SDS EM3."

While I realize there isn't really a NEED for a 500hp engine in a wee motorhome, the EFI manifold is quite a beauty.

Dirk- Boy does that conversion look sweet! But - will it smog in California? (picky,picky)

Bill

Dirk- Boy does that conversion look sweet! But - will it smog in California? (picky,picky)

Bill

I'm researching that.... From what I've learned so far, the basic Carb. or EFI 20r/22r would pass. I am guessing that the engine pictured would not because its built and tuned for racing.

I'll ask around and post the results.

~Dirk

• 1 year later...
I'm researching that.... From what I've learned so far, the basic Carb. or EFI 20r/22r would pass. I am guessing that the engine pictured would not because its built and tuned for racing.

I'll ask around and post the results.

~Dirk

A 500 hp motor is clearly tuned for racing and almost certainly not on pump gas. However, the guy whose website you linked to has done a great job of doing a lot of work with a turbo charged 22RTE - he's 300 flywheel horsepower: http://www.well.com/user/mosk/

I've also been doing some work turbocharging these motors for street use (4runner). No dyno runs yet, I expect over 200 flywheel hp as I'm maxing 440cc injectors. My motor is "overbuilt" - but I believe you can get 200 *reliable* hp out of these things for about $1500 over the cost of a basic rebuild. Keys are:

1) 22RTE pistons (low compression)

2) Megasquirt fuel injection ($300, assembled). This can be intergrated into the stock wiring harness.

3) Basic turbo manifold

4) Garrett t3 turbo

5) Plumbing

As weak as these motors are in terms of power output, these are entirely new vehicles at 7psi on pump fuel... The 4runner now cruises up hills at 70mph that I'd be downshifting to 3rd.

65-75 mph cruise is now at 1/8th throttle.

There is a mpg penalty - I've lost 1-2 mpg total.

In terms of smog legal, there is no reason why I'm not as clean as a stock 22re. No issues passing smog (sniffer) here in TX, although I did have to lean the truck out at idle a bit.

I'll buy a toyota RV one of these days... I plan on making it manual transmission and a low-dollar turbo.

Details on my 4runner: http://22returbo.net

d_ginther@hotmail.com