Got an idea - tell me what you think

kinglj

Hello to all - Here's what I have, what I've done and what I'm thinking.

So I bought a 1980 odyssey for $1300.00 drove it home from Oregon to Wash the day I bought it (300 miles) no problem good little runner only 73k on it not the best of shape - so I have put a Weber 32/36 on her and she runs even better, replaced the old seats in the cab with seats from a 86 MR2, took out the bench seat/sleeper in the back and found things aren's so good - could use alot of replacing of the wood - I did replace the top layer flooring but if I really wanted to I could rip out the whole insides and start over but I dont really want to do that so here's what I'm thinking and I'm wondering if anyone has ever done this or thought of it.

Why not remove the whole camper section and buy a 5th wheel camper (doesnt have to be new), modify it to replace the old camper? - take the hich and wheels off the 5th wheel and put it on the frame? - your thoughts and comments?

Okay... thoughts and comments !

Do they make any 5th wheel campers the same length as the house on the Toy ? If the 5th wheeler is longer what do you do with the extra length ? How about the weight of the 5th wheeler compared to the weight of the house on the toy?If it weighs more, could be trouble. How about the effort to modify the 5th wheeler to fit on the frame of the Toy? Would it be equal or more to just replacing the rotten members in the present house ?

Hope I didn't harsh your buzz here, but how about the value at resale ? If you told a prospective buyer you cross bred the unit, what would their reaction be to your offering ? I would expect them to hold up crossed fingers between ye and thee and they would run away yelling, " Unclean ! Unclean!"

Just my old guy clasped hands over belly response to an enthusiastic young ideas person.

Hope you choose well...

John

About the only 5th wheeler I've ever seen that would even be remotely possible is a SCAMP. They mostly make a small 13ft bubble trailer, but for a few years they made a 5th wheel about 17ft long.

I think it would be much easier to find a Toy with a good house and a bad engine.

There is a thread here somewhere titled "Put the sawzall down". Way down near the end there are photos and information of a couple who built a new house on a standard PU chassis. Maybe strip yours down to the frame and built a new house????

Shoprat - I like your reply and you might be right but look at the Toy home and take a good look at a 5th wheel they look pretty close - I haven't measured one and sure they may not even come close but if they are it might be possible.

The time and money to totally rebuild a Toy home vs putting a 5th wheel on I think would be way less (if it would work) yes it would have to be a small one I have seen one that was 19 feet I think could work - as a kid (I'm 46) I always said if I can imagine it I can build it, well I'm not saying I'm going to do this but I imagine it can be done.

If I do end up doing this I well surely put up a post and let everyone know