Mirrors

nibs

The stock mirrors on my 84 Sunrader are at the end of their life cycle, rusted through or busted, thanks to a tire chunk.

Should I replace the 4 mirrors with new ones, or should I replace the whole shooting match with ford style mirrors that will swing flat, the type on a curved bar attached below the window. I find that the stock set of 4 mirrors blocks a lot of the side vision. I realize that the ford style will probably have to have extenders, which I can fabricate. Your thoughts please...........Tony

Sounds like a lot of work and I'll bet you'll miss the convex ones. Napa has the replacements and for a few extra bucks they have or can get them in stainless. They do block a bit of side vision but they do make for a big rear view.

Here's another thought...

These mirrors lasted 25 years. Add another 25 years with the stock replacements, and ya gotta 50 year old vehicle. Dooode,in that time, the OEM stock replacement mirrors will probably be attached to rusted scrap iron cube in a forgotten corner of an out of the way scrap yard. The blocking of the vision thingy hasn't bothered drivers for 25 years, or the Rader would be a rusted cube already. Do it quick an cheap, just replace the stock with stock look-a-likes. It'll be fine !

Hey ! Don't ask me about that rear view T.V. camera and T.V. unit ya see on my dash.It's personal ! It takes the place of hair on my chest.

Those Ford style will not stick out far enough. Here's what I did for my first Toyota MH many moons ago. I bought a pair of the Ford mirrors and drilled a hole on the side of the bracket where it curves. I then moved the mirrors to the side so that they stuck out further. Actually, I use a short extender to bring it out farther. I placed those small paste on fish eye mirrors on the bottom of the large mirrors.

The reason I did this was that I had a very narrow driveway and needed to fold the mirror to get in. The other reason was that I hit the old mirror and nearly tore the door off.

One other setup I saw was from someone who mounted the mirrors hanging from the cab over. That worked pretty good also. He bolted flat bars sticking out from the cab over and attached the mirrors to those.

The original setup is okay but if you need to fold the mirrors these work good.