Leaking overhang

Hi,

I have a problem in that my motorhome is leaking from the front window and I don't know where from. In September last year I went on a small vacation and caught the corner on a shop front. I have attached the photos of what happened at the time. I fixed the outside using a fibreglass kit and I think it is solid now. The inside I have not done anything with yet It. and I have a small leak that is leaking from the join in the plastic I have attached some photos so that you can better understand. i appreciate any advise on fixing the problem or searching for a remedy thank you for your time.

Danny

Current situation:

Outside front window seal: http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv175/T...windowclose.jpg

Front window as whole: http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv175/T...TASCA/Front.jpg

Outside hole repaired: http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv175/T...Holeoutside.jpg

Water found joining here: http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv175/T...Holeoutside.jpg

post-1589-1241031772_thumb.jpg

post-1589-1241031799_thumb.jpg

Howdy Danny !

This may sound totally absurd, but I offer my input anyway. I had a leak in the overhang in my Sunrader, it turned out to be not the windows, but the clearance lights. Don't forget to check them out also. The sealant willl dry out and crack over time, allowing the water to enter UNDER the clearance light body. I found my leaks by spraying water on the leaking area ( garden hose and a willing assistant) and puling the headliner back till I found the leak. A real PITA , but it saves time in the long run. I actually had water standing in the passenger side footwell, I found out later. The guy who sold it to me had actualy wrapped the front of the overhead mattress in Visqueen to keep it dry I also found out later !I lost a lot of respect for this tur--err- Doode, after I found this !

Go with the flow, Grasshopper !

John

Yeah I will have a look at that. I think that after the crash it shifted the plates on the roof. Last summer I remoeved all the seal on the roof and replaced with a bituimen based sealant as it was leaking in the wardrobe. Do you think that it could be from the window? As I have heard some people taking out there front window and replacing the sealant around the outisde of the glass. Is this worth a try?

Hers my 2 cents worth. Check your lights like shoprat says. Its a common area. Water will actually siphon in if there is the right kind of space - hole. Driving down the road at 50 will force water into those loose areas. I just replaced my lights and had a leak up there also. I will be testing tonight with a hose! Hoses can work to find a leak but sometimes that water will travel internally a fair distance before it emerges on the inside. I hate silicon and use caulking specifically for windows and doors or the stuff made just for rv's. The silicon comes loose after time and then makes it hard to apply the correct caulking later as almost nothing will stick to the surface. I just bought some stuff called "ProFlexRV" and will be testing it tonight. It has lifetime durability.

• 2 months later...

I have a 92 itasca spirit --- i had a leak from the front window - took off the trim on inside -- pushed window out by laying on my back and using both feet - alternating going outside & prying - - replaced butyl seal. (about $7 at RV dealer). In hard rain while driving it leaks through the glass -- actually through the seam where the glass is enbedded in the window frame.

I have built a tray under it until I drive back thru elkhart IN where there are stores that have every window ever built (or so it seems). I have been told that some auto glass dealers can inject glue under pressure to seal it, but it is not much of a problem for me presently.

I have seen people use blue painters tape to cover that seam too. (on outside, kind of doubt it will stay there on the highway).

I have photos of the seal job if you need them.

Make sure you seal those clearance lights with silicone caulk & run a bead of silicone around the edge of the butyl seal on the window.

[