1986 18ft Odyssey - Should I buy It?

Christian

I have an opportunity to buy a 1986 18 ft Odyssey this weekend but would like to know if it would be a wise purchase.

It has about 80k miles...eveything including generator and rooftop a/c works.

Awning is like new...a little water damage in roof at front of cab and the biggest thing is it needs a motor.

Price is $1600...I am in the process of fixing up a 1984 21 ft New Horizon and am thinking of getting this one instead since wife likes the floorplan and automatic better.

Opinions?

Thanks in advance.

I guess it comes down to how much are you willing to spend? $2,000 is not out of line for a rebuilt engine and there is the option of a used one but they have not been made in a long time so it will be hard to find one with low mileage. If it send a rod through the block your pretty well stuck with replacing it if not maybe a rebuild would do it. I guess you have to weigh the cost verses what it would be worth running.

I will need to pay a friend of mine $200 to help with either a head replacement (so plus parts) and or $300 for a motor swap...it has an auto tranny in it now and I can get a 5 speed for $100 at the same time but not sure if that would be a good idea or not.

We really like this one and if I had not just put all my money into the 84 new horizon I would buy this almost for sure. I know the roof is an issue but I have yet to see any of these RV's under 5k that have don't or didn't have water leaks. What is the biggest concern with water leaks other then the mildew?

Thank you.

Rotting of the wood framing. no real way to check except to push from the inside out and the outside in and compare it to other parts of the coach. Unless there is a way to look inside where the water damage is. Inside damage can be well hidden. Good news if you are going to have water damage thats the easiest area to repair.

If all it has is a blown head gasket I would just do the gasket and not an engine swap. You will not find a junker motor in a wrecking yard with the low miles you have there. Swapping the tranny is more than just plug and play. Look for a thread here on just that project.

Well I talked to the main RV guy around here and he said I should get it so I did.

Now I am strapped for cash and will have to take a loss on my 1984 New Horizon.

I put in soooo many hours redoing the rear axle assembly, new carpet throughout the cab and just fixing minor little things...I am actually already attached to it and it has only been two weeks...lol

So if anyone is interested here is my ad:

http://www.toyotamotorhome.org/classifieds...ng.php?view=580

Also I am now looking for a mid 80's motor so if anyone has any suggestions they would be appreciated.

I don't think I want to tackle swapping the tranny yet since it seems to big of job but who knows...if I find the right package deal I may go for it.