Well I noticed the parking brake had to be practically pulled to the rear bumper to engage, and it felt like it was braking uneven. I got underneath and adjusted the drums, and yes they where out of adjustment. Now I seemed to have tightened one side a little too much and I am unable to get it to back off. Is there a trick to this? I know in the self adjusting type there is a little plate that locks the star in, maybe I need to push it back with a screw driver while backing off the star? I hope I do not have to remove the drum adjust it. Thanks for any info here, it has been a long time since I have played with drum brakes.

Yep, on one side of the star wheel there is a small lever, unless you hold the lever back with a thin screwdriver or = the star wheel will only rotate to tighten the brakes. It took me a day of Far+in about to get mine the way I wanted. I bet if you google it you can find an exploded diagram, no need to pull the drum.............Tony

Thanks for the tips, I tried to find the plate but so far I can't get it. I am using a thick wire maybe twice the thickness of a hanger trying to hold the plate off the star. I am not sure if I should be trying below the star or to the left or right of it. I think I felt something on the lower right of the star, but tough to do both on my back it such a tight space. I will keep at it.

Yeah, I got so po'd that I swore to take off the adjuster next brake job. I used a long shank skinny screwdriver, the handle gave me some leverage while keeping my left hand out of the way. The lock was a new one for me too, first time I adjusted brakes since the early 70's bit of a pita. Brake guys will do it in a flash.

Yes I think they are self adjusting, but it did not seem to work. If I hit the brakes on the freeway it pulled to the left a little so I wanted to check them. I had them real close to perfect and then went just a little too far, I still have not been able to back it off. I am going to try to raise it up so I can get a better angle on it. I have the adjustment tool, it is just matter of getting the lock plate to let go for a second and there is hardly enough room for a wire to poke the plate back while backing off the star.

What about the front, are they disc brakes. Both my calipers on the 86 froze, first one on out trip to the Big Sur Toyin. Then the other the very next year on our way to the Big Sur toyin. Just a thought that one in front might also be working better than the other. I did not notice any difference in steering when I hit the brakes. Only sign was a hot front rim. I would think the rear could equalize themselves using the reverse stomp method.

I should have left it alone, I think the star is a one direction only wheel. I can tighten it but I am not able to loosen it, I can hear the plate snapping away from the wheel but I cannot get any traction. I guess I have to pull the wheel off.

It is a pain but you can get it try pushing it in towards the backing plate at some point you should feel spring resistance and the adjuster will releace. You will have to hold it until you get it adjusted. The ideal with self adjusting drum brakes is not to allow the brakes to ware to the point that the wheel cylinders come apart they started doing that in the 60's as a safety program. As you can guess they do what they were intended to do and nothing more so if you want a good parking brake and less pedal travel they need to be adjusted. Another tip there is a plug on the edge of the backing plate looks like it has a screw driver slot in it if you take that out you will be able to see the edge of the brake lining and if they are thin you may want to take the drum off any way.

OK now I'll say what I meant (it's a left handed thing) push the lever towards the out side away from the backing plate!

I am feeling around in the blind, I know I can get it but so far no luck ha ha. I wish I had a picture of it and that might make it easier to feel what is going on. I could have sworn I had it but went to back up and the brake is still tight. Let this be a lesson to anyone trying this. I am trying to poke the plate outwards and I have tried both sides of the adjustment star below the threaded axle thing trying to hold the plate back. If it was right in front of me it would be easy, but on my back with no room to reach is the real problem.

====[]==== |

___________|

Hello Robert,

I swore (several times) that my brake adjuster was broken when I tried to back the

rear brakes off, but I finally got them to back off. It is a two handed operation, with

one had you need to push the star locker off and with the other hand you need to

pry the star backwards. It took me forever to get the right angle to be able to

pry the star backwards, the space is tight. I ended up taking my tires off to give

me a bit more hand room.

Dennis...

Glad I am not the only one who has done this, it is okay now finally.

I did notice while I was underneath a lot of oil on the drum. I think I may have an axle seal leaking or at the very least a wheel cyl.

Down the road I will have to tear it down and do a complete brake job but that is for another thread lol.

Robert, I spent just about a day mucking with mine before we went south. I noticed after about 6,500 mi that the drivers side drum was heating up a bit, pulled in to a Mexican roadside repair place, asked him to back the star wheel off a bit, it took longer to jack it up than the 30 secs it took him to windem back. I gave him my brake adjusting spoon and $5. Made me feel like a right clutz.................Tony

• 1 year later...

i cant get my rear drums back on new 523 brake pads do i have the right size break pads

Check your parking brake cables. The Shoes should be dead against the pin at the top no gaps.