removing daulies on a 77 Chinook

emanuel

Hi,

I have a 77 Chinook with very low compression in all cylinders. It won't go more than 40-45 and hills are always second gear. I cannot afford to rebuild the engine but was wondering if switching out the dualies for single back tires would remove strain off the engine and improve its performance. Is this worth it? Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Emanuel in Portland, Oregon

DON'T DO IT !

The duallies help support the weight of the camper. The supposed lessening of drag isn't enough to worry about. Have you had this unit checked by a reliable mechanic?

Yes I had a complete tune up with new plugs put in, etc. The thing is it isn't safe to take on the Interstate because it won't go fast enough, plus I have gotten stuck a few times stopped at a red light pointing up hill.

Sorry Dude, this is where reality rears its ugly head. The drag savings would be worth about 1-2mph and wouldn't do anything leaving a red light.

Start looking for a 22R in a wreaking yard. That would be about the cheapest way to go.

If you have the skills, a Okie overhaul (ring job) can be done for under a $100 , rod bearings, rings, gasket set. Dont even have to take the engine out of the truck