running fridge

sparky60

Hello. I'm a newbie here. I've been doing over a 1983 Toyota Dolphin and have pretty much got everthing squared away ( I think ). I'm closed to taking it a a trip. My question is ..I know u can have the fridge running on propane while driving but isn't it supposed to be really level to be operating properly ? When u r parked and set up , how level does the RV have to be anyway 4 the fridge to work right ? I put a new bubble level on the back, just get that close ? Also I would like to get a new top for the wedgewood T2130 range (not the cover). It's a 4 burner and is stainless steel (must be cheap s/s because it did rust. I've learned quite alot just by reading all these great post from u guys...thks 4 any info

Hi Sparky60,

Welcome to the forum. When parked and running the fridge on propane, it should be a level as possible to keep the flame burning. When my folks had a camper years ago, they had to be sure it was really level or the flame would go out. We don't do dry camping or boondocking in our '84 Dolphin so we haven't used it with the flame lit. We plug into electric and it has worked fine that way for us even if not perfectly level. We do try to get it as level as possible though.

Do a search on the internet for the range top and see what you find. If you have an RV dealer nearby, try checking with them. There are salvage places that may carry them also. There is a list on this forum of several salvage places so you might find it through one of them. Look for the 'Search' box at the bottom of the General Discussion area and try there.

Just a reminder, if you do have the fridge going while driving, don't forget to turn it off when refueling.

Dianne

Hi Sparky60,

Welcome to the forum. When parked and running the fridge on propane, it should be a level as possible to keep the flame burning. When my folks had a camper years ago, they had to be sure it was really level or the flame would go out. We don't do dry camping or boondocking in our '84 Dolphin so we haven't used it with the flame lit. We plug into electric and it has worked fine that way for us even if not perfectly level. We do try to get it as level as possible though.

Do a search on the internet for the range top and see what you find. If you have an RV dealer nearby, try checking with them. There are salvage places that may carry them also. There is a list on this forum of several salvage places so you might find it through one of them. Look for the 'Search' box at the bottom of the General Discussion area and try there.

Just a reminder, if you do have the fridge going while driving, don't forget to turn it off when refueling.

Dianne

Thanks Dianne, I didn't know u had to turn it off when refueling. Sure does make sense tho. I'll remember that one ! I'll check some rv salvage websites 4 my stove top...thks again...sparky60

It's pretty important to try and get the fridge level regardless of what way you power it gas or electric it can cause problems if it is run for prolonged times unlevel it can cause them to fail. Driving is not an issue while they are running level or not only parked. Open flame is not a good thing while you are filling it with gas don't forget your water heater either!

It's pretty important to try and get the fridge level regardless of what way you power it gas or electric it can cause problems if it is run for prolonged times unlevel it can cause them to fail. Driving is not an issue while they are running level or not only parked. Open flame is not a good thing while you are filling it with gas don't forget your water heater either!

Thanks ...I won't forget.............hopefully.....

Start with the freezer tray. Put your level there and level the camper. Once level find a spot inside where it reads the same and use that spot all the time so you don't have to open the refer. Someone mentioned the flame will go out if not level. Not true so beware that it will stay lit and if to far out of level it will eventually toast the refer. Front to back is more critical than side to side. When your driving down the road everything is sloshing around in the refers inards and your level a great deal of the time. But remember if you stop somewhere for more that an hour or so it would be best to find a level spot.

Here is some info on how they work http://www.rvmobile.com/Tech/Trouble/cooldoc.htm

Hey, Sparky, thats a good tip from Greg, once I had my Toyota level, I put one of those self adhesive levels on the underside of the bunk so I could see it through the windshield, for crosswise leveling, and one above the driverside mirrors on the underside of the bunk, for fore and aft leveling. Now I can see when the rig is level from the driver position.............Tony

Gee..thanks 4 all this good advice fellas.....I'll remember it 4 sure. Be aware of this !>>> I recently ordered a new thermostat/oven control 4 my Wedgewood T2130 range from PPLmotorhomes.com. The picture looked close but didn't seem just right so I called and they said for sure it would fit. They said it looks a bit different because the old one has mercury in it which is a no no these days, so thay made this new one but it will work ...Right ! $63.14 total . The size was correct but the mounting configurtion is all different, and of course when I called back they said all gas and electric parts are non-refundable. I will say that the girl was nice about it and as I never used it she talked to the supervisor and ok'd a return. Thank Heavens. I'm about ready to give up on the oven part and just use the top burners.....Thanks again all........Sparky60.....

Gee..thanks 4 all this good advice fellas.....I'll remember it 4 sure. Be aware of this !>>> I recently ordered a new thermostat/oven control 4 my Wedgewood T2130 range from PPLmotorhomes.com. The picture looked close but didn't seem just right so I called and they said for sure it would fit. They said it looks a bit different because the old one has mercury in it which is a no no these days, so thay made this new one but it will work ...Right ! $63.14 total . The size was correct but the mounting configurtion is all different, and of course when I called back they said all gas and electric parts are non-refundable. I will say that the girl was nice about it and as I never used it she talked to the supervisor and ok'd a return. Thank Heavens. I'm about ready to give up on the oven part and just use the top burners.....Thanks again all........Sparky60.....

A new range can be had for less than $300. I mention this because the new ones are allot more quieter when going down the road. Less rattles etc. Here is another source for rv parts. www.go-rv.com select a state and then a dealer (any dealer) and see what you can find for parts. Also try this guy www.rvdoctorgeorge.com he might be able to fix you up with the part or a newer complete range.

• 2 weeks later...

Mr Chris, I would only use my fridge on 12 volt after my house batt is fully charged. Even then on 12 volt you dont get much cooling.

Sparky Pacific Northwest RV supply has a top for your stove (we think its cream colored) they had 2 but we bought the black one, a month ago. They charged us $15.

Toll Free (866) 6RV-SHOP (866-678-7467)

Fax (541) 736-5573

Email mail@nwrvsupply.com

Address 86325 College View Drive

Eugene, OR 97405

Open Monday-Friday 9-5 Saturday 10-4

Mr Chris, I would only use my fridge on 12 volt after my house batt is fully charged. Even then on 12 volt you dont get much cooling.

Sparky Pacific Northwest RV supply has a top for your stove (we think its cream colored) they had 2 but we bought the black one, a month ago. They charged us $15.

Toll Free (866) 6RV-SHOP (866-678-7467)

Fax (541) 736-5573

Email mail@nwrvsupply.com

Address 86325 College View Drive

Eugene, OR 97405

Open Monday-Friday 9-5 Saturday 10-4

Thanks...I'll give them a shot......