Tire Inflating Insanity

drblack46

I've had my 1988 Dolphin for a while now, and I am very confused as to why the tire inflation nozzle for the rear outside tires is pointing the wrong way. They are pointing INWARD making it impossible to inflate the tires with a regular gas station pump. Even with my small, very flexible 12V pump I still can't get in there to attach to the nozzle. It looks like the only option is to jack it up and remove the tire to inflate it, which is such a huge hassle it doesn't make sense for that to be a routine thing to have to do.

Does anyone know of adapters or special pumps that can do this? They would have to have a "U" shape I would imagine.

Or is this an insane design with no option but to remove the tire?

Thanks everyone.

All dualies are like that because no matter what you do one tire is backwards. Some of the bigger rigs have flex hoses hooked to the inside wheel that sticks out the front josh s's picture is what is used to do the inside one it works from both ends.

Every time the tires get rotated, you will have wrong way valve stems. Next time you are at a tire store for any reason, have them install the flex tubes that hook to the inside dual and then fasten to the outside dual. They cure that problem and every time you get the tires rotated, they will be accessible.

Every time the tires get rotated, you will have wrong way valve stems. Next time you are at a tire store for any reason, have them install the flex tubes that hook to the inside dual and then fasten to the outside dual. They cure that problem and every time you get the tires rotated, they will be accessible.

Hi T.A.J. - I found these at an RV parts store. They work great. And I think they cost about $12 a pair

Billpost-137-1238282533_thumb.jpg

I took all of those off mine because they are notorious for leaking.

If you have to pump up your tires constantly, you have a leak - address the problem and fix the leak.

Then when you need to add a little air, do it at a truck stop where every air chuck is a dually head.

Thanks for the help everyone! I went to 5 gas stations today and none of them had the dual inflator chucks connected to their pumps. When I asked the employees about it, none of them knew what I was talking about. It's obvious I need to get my own to keep with me so I can inflate at any station.

I found this on the Kragen website:

http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductDetail....tegoryCode=3474

My local store has it so I'll take a look and see if it works. I'm still not sure if you can connect it to any gas station pump though. Thanks again!