New tires for my 91 Toye

You should read the post in General Discussion titled "BFG 27X8" to get a better understanding of tire ratings for your Toyhome. For the time being I have left the C rated tires on the front that came with my Sunrader but replaced the rear duals with D rated 8 ply for safety and firmer handling. I'll replace the fronts as soon as cash is more plentiful.

Seamus McShank

I just replaced all my tires last weekend for $500.00 installed complete, balanced, new stems, etc.. The tires have a D weight rating, as do several of the brands available, which is better than the C rating if you lose a tire, the other three on the axle will hold the weight.

I used Creamery tire in Creamery, PA, if you're in the southeast PA area. They were great. In and out with 6 tires installed in 30 minutes, including a 10 minute wait to get the RV in the bay. Can't beat that.

I guess I am a little confused about the tire ratings. I understand the C and D ratings no problem. But some tires have a number rating like a 78s or 82s for instance. I have been told a Firestone tires with a 92s rating will work on a Toyota Motorhome. According to the scale I read it is about a 1300LBS rating for the tire. If I take that number x6 it should handle the weight of the MH. But I am not sure if that is a true way of rating the tire and the last thing I need to do is have to buy two sets of tires. I did find a set of C rated Yokohamas on TireRack.com.

• 2 weeks later...

We just purchased our new toy mh about 300 mile from home. The tires were bad so it was off to the tire shop (actually ordered them a week in advance) before bringing it home. Bought some Yokohama's, 184 r14 load range d. It is a commercial light truck tire called the "Super Van". About $740 for 7 tires mounted and balanced with a lifetime road hazard protection. Max pressure is 65 pounds. Got them at "Americas Tires" also known as "Discount Tires". Picked them cause they are all over the country if needed.

• 2 months later...

I have a 89 Winnebago Warrior that has the 185/14C tires. The manufacturer manual calls for 28 psi cold for all 6 tires. This seems really low to me. What tires pressure do you guys use?