1986 Toyota Huntsman

mahrtian

1986 Toyota Huntsman, 22re, automatic with O/D, 55K miles. I can't seem to find any topics related to the Huntsman model. I am looking at one for sale. My mechanic says it looks good except for leaking transmission seal. It drives and shifts fine just a little leak that will require trans removal and service. There are two small leaks in roof seam but not bad. It seems to have had good care and all original manuals are included in the sale if I buy it.

I'm looking for some input on that model if anybody can help.

If it's just a leaky rear seal, it can be changed without removing the transmission. But that rear seal is so well designed that the only way it leaks is when the extension housing bushing is worn WAY out. That bushing can be replaced without removing the transmission as well, but unfortunately, if it has worn enough to cause a leak, it has allowed the output shaft to vibrate enough to wear out the rear case bushing. Fixing that bushing will require a complete transmission teardown.

Check for a worn extension housing bushing by getting under it and jerking the driveshaft right at the yoke from the transmission. If it moves side to side enough to be detectable by touch, you've got a worn extension housing bushing and likely a worn case bushing.

You can confirm a worn case bushing by doing the following:

Remove driveshaft.

Looking into the extension housing, Wiggle the splined output shaft with a little phillips screwdriver inserted into the center hole. It should wiggle about 1/8" (tight) to 1/4" (loose) as measured at the end of the shaft. If you can wiggle it enough to touch the extension housing bushing, it's probably already cutting rings in your case bore.

I'm almost finished rebuilding mine at 58k miles due to the "leaky rear seal."

See http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1793 and http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=268

Edited by Bodybagger

Sounds like the converter seal if it has to come out no big deal you should have it flushed after its back in to get all of the old fluid out and replace it with synthetic fluid it will stand heat better. Also if it does not have a external cooler now would be a good time to add one. As for the rest they all are pretty much alike they are tough little motor homes if every thing works and the water leaks have not caused any serious rot then go for it.