Having a problem with my temp guage and tach.working and not working

Guest savannahann

Guest savannahann

Greetings fellow toyota motorhome lovers.This problem is real bothersome.It all started last year when I bought my 1989 winnie with a part time working temp and oil pressure gauge and a part time working tach.We,my family were returning from a local state park when we had electrical smoke coming from under the dash.Luckily I was able to stop the potential fire from starting.I had it towed to a local mech. who installed a seperate under the dash oil pressure gauge and seemed to fix the tach and temp. gauge.That repair didn't hold up,the oil pressure gauge did.He did replace the fuse box as he said they do go bad.Talking with a friend last night about this situation he seemed to think I might have a bad ground somewhere but not to worry as it took 20 years for the resistence to cause a potential fire problem.I can live without the temp gauge and tach,maybe disable them.Would it be as simple as taking out the fuse that's on that circut?The last owner when so far as to change the dash board,odemeter and all but the problem remaind.Any opinion is very welcome! Thank you,Rob

you might be right on track with the bad ground theory as the current will find another route like say through another gauge or device etc. Sounds like damage has already been done if you had smoke. I hate to say it but a dismantle and thorough look around might be in order. Do pull your fuse block loose and look behind it and every where . Grounds usually do not return to the block but sometimes connect at a central point some where else. Look for signs that some one did some modifications to the wiring some where in the past.

• 1 month later...
Guest savannahann

you might be right on track with the bad ground theory as the current will find another route like say through another gauge or device etc. Sounds like damage has already been done if you had smoke. I hate to say it but a dismantle and thorough look around might be in order. Do pull your fuse block loose and look behind it and every where . Grounds usually do not return to the block but sometimes connect at a central point some where else. Look for signs that some one did some modifications to the wiring some where in the past.

Thanks Greg.A friend recomended a site called all-data.Mechanics and garages pay 1000 a month for it.you get the best detailed wiring diagrams.He said if I pay a subscriber 20 bucks they'll print one out