black rubber around window replacement?

jcblues32

just wondering if anyone knows how and where to get the black rubber trim that goes around the window (specifically the overhead bunk) mine is sunfried and falling out of the window.. i have tried to put it back in but it seems to have shrunken as well . thanks jason

• 1 month later...

I have this same problem.

I went to an RV repair shop and bought some of it by the foot... I think they called it glass lock or glazing lock... I can't remember. But it was expensive, close to $5/ft.

I think for the rest of my windows, I will apply a bead of caulking as best I can without it looking bad.

Taking out the old dried and shrunken pieces is not easy feat... be careful not to break the glass like I did on one of my windows.

I have the same issue, and I think it is common that the seals age and do not hold flush in place.

This is a reach but I have had the thought to take out the rubber seal and try to fabricate an aluminum window frame for the over head area. The real trick would obviously getting the wrap around curved. I have not tried any of this but if there is a way to get an inner and outer window frame and bend it to fit it would be a permanent fix. The outer frame would have to be installed first then the glass then the inner. I also thought about an aluminum strip maybe lined with rubber to go over the existing rubber seal inside and out, and sort of clamp the existing seal in place. Again a lot of bends and work but a more permanent fix. I wonder if anyone has tried something like this?

• 5 weeks later...

I just worked mine over. Same problem, shrunk and came out. I pulled it out all the way to where it was still good then tried to snap it back in but it would only snap in in areas. Other spots I am guessing it had shrunk, got to hard or who knows what. I got it back in as best as possible then used a caulking made just for windows called big stretch and ran a bead all the way around on the glass side and the frame side. Let it set up and did it again. The rubber was almost 2 inches short to come together at its ends so I filled in the space with caulk. Looks like it will stay put. I had the window out at the time on the bench so it was a bit easier to work on. I noticed that there was sealant on the back side (inside side of window) between the glass and frame and it looked like it was OK. So I really think the rubber is what its called "glass lock" and really has nothing to do with sealing. Note though that the Sunrader front windows are a different style and their rubber is the seal.

• 3 weeks later...
just wondering if anyone knows how and where to get the black rubber trim that goes around the window (specifically the overhead bunk) mine is sunfried and falling out of the window.. i have tried to put it back in but it seems to have shrunken as well . thanks jason

• 2 months later...

I was told from my RV parts store that a local glass company they referred me to might know where to get the replacement rubber seal to fit my Huntsman. If you are doing this yourself you have to remove the window from the motorhome and remove the glass. Replace the rubber and re-assemble the window and reinstall it with (I use) 35 year silicone caulk which you can buy at lowe's or home depot. I also did a search on google for replacement window rubber seals and there were places I could call and order from. Matt