plywood thickness for overcab bed rebuild

Les

Hello Everyone!

I have been searching and can't find a real answer to my dilemma of wood thickness in the overcab. Can I use 1/4" plywood (instead of the thinner 1/8"  lauan plywood) to rebuild my overcab side walls and sleeping area? If I can, do I just glue and staple the roof area that has the curve leading up to the front overcab window? Is there some sort of preparation I need to do to the 1/4" plywood to help it bend and fit snuggly into the curved roof - front wall area? Could I use 1/2" plywood for the bottom bed area? I ultimately want to paint this whole area white (research shows that the lauan typically absorbs moister from the primer and paint, which in turn causes the lauan to delaminate and bubble). Any and all advice for me is very much appreciated.  Thank you everyone that contributes to this amazing and informative forum.

Go take a really good read through this thread!  https://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?/topic/13799-rebuild-begining-middle-end/

There is a LOT of really good pictures on there. What you need is probably there.  Also there are a few more threads with some awesome pictures.  Dig around a bit. The general forum might have to go back a couple pages as it moves right along. The rest you should find in the first page or so. 

I would go hunting for more links, but internet is down for now and just on my phone. There is a thread I posted up on Mini Cruiser roof bracing, Linda linked in another awesome thread about essentially the same. 

Edited by thewanderlustking

hi thewanderlustking

You might have sent me to the wrong place. There was a strange argument there. Maybe you misunderstood what I was asking about.

Thank you anyway  😉

Lol yeah ignore that drama but look up a little above that.  ReallyRural has really detailed pictures and descriptions of the repairs he made to rebuilding his damaged roof.  Including info on the cab over section. In fact he specifically talks abut how moisture casued the new stuff to delaminate. 

There are a more than a few really good threads, including the one Linda linked to me in the other thread I mentioned.  Sorry I can't give more specific guidance or links, I am suffering on a sketchy modem connection at the moment.  When I hit post on this, it will take anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes for it to upload lol.       

Well

Upload a bunch of pictures of you rig.