cruise control

mmtoy1

Hi

I have a 87 Sunrader with a 4 cyl fuel injected motor I think its the 22 re. This is a great little motor home has everyting including generator. It has cruise control but that does not work I have noticed a broken cable at the accelarator and I also notice when I turn it on no light or anything comes on. It is the toyota cruise control Not sure if it is dealer or factory installed. My question is who can I take this to to fix my toyota dealer is not interested in looking at my camper at all and my regular guy does not want it it will not fit in his shop. What type of place does this. I would like to fix it as it is the only thing that does not work and it bothers me.

thanks

mm

I somehow find a downloadable manul on line for my 89 Toyota, not sure they would be same but try that and see if you might be able to fix yourself. I howevre do not use cruise unless I am on flat road, tend to use more fuel with cruise that just a steady pace, it does slow down uphill but picks up downhill. One queston where is the generator, compartment or mounted to rear bumper?

I have some paperwork for it but I am not good at that but cant find anyone to look at it. I think it was only a couple of hundred dollars add on option back when it was new. I could live without it but I hate when somthing doesent work.

To answer your question my generator is in a compartment behind the driver side door and you start it behind the drivers seat there is a choke a start switch and a light.

Hello MM,

Once you get the cruise control fixed, you may not be too happy with it.

Even with my 1990 Toyota with a V6, the slightest hill (or head wind) will force

the cruise control to downshift way too often (like every minute or less).

I live in the Mid-West and even on flat ground, I rarely am able to use it.

It is strange that your Toyota dealer will not work on it, it should not be any

different to work on it as working on a regular Toyota pickup truck, you may

want to ask them again. Hard to image a car dealer turning down work right now.

If you have any other car dealerships in the area (GM, FORD, etc), you may want to

ask them, if they are not busy, they may do the work. It would not be the first

time a dealer worked on a vechile that was from another company, especially in

small towns. Also, a lot of places like Ziebart and car stereo shops will do cruise

controls, but these shops will probably not fix what you have, but replace it with

the cruise control model they carry/install.

Good luck,

Dennis...

That was an aftermarket cruise control that was installed on most of the 4 cylinder Toy RVs. They are not very good. There are companies that make fully electronic cruise controls for your rig. I would recommend not investing any money in that cruise control. I never use mine. I use my foot because I have an automatic and rarely turn overdrive off unless I am passing a vehicle or come to a hilly area. I have a very large trans cooler.

JMHO

David aka Highschoolibrian

86 Sun Express

Thanks to all, I went to the dealer a while ago he may change his mind now with all thats going on but I dont like the place it is huge and they treat you like dirt. I think I will look at the replacement unit but what you guys say makes a good point about it does not work that good I guess with that 4 cyl heading through PA it would not be worth much. I will have to see. I got this camper this summer and have everything working great , just that one thing, I have not made a trip yet I am hoping to try her out soon on a little trip and than more use in the summer. and next fall I plan on taking it to Montana. Its a nice little camper.

mm

Hello MMTOY1,

Regarding your Fall trip to Montana, Illinois is on your way...I will be hosting a Mid-West

Toy-In Rally the weekend of October 3rd (will probably end up being Oct 1st to 5th).

The location is just outside of Galesburg/Knoxsville, off of I-74.

Dennis...