84 dolphin... turned into a tailgating camper... how does it affect value?

johnnyonthespot

so I am going to pull the trigger on a 84 toyota dolphin (my second one!)

but the sink, fridge, stove and some of the cabinetry was pulled out to make more passenger room for a tailgating machine...

they did a pretty good job using the space for more seating and making new storage underneath a new bench and then they re-upholstered the cushions and made everything look uniform...

i dont mind the missing amenities as i appreciate the extra space and i never used those items anyway...

my question is: how does this removal of said amenities affect the resale value?

also the entire exterior has been painted black!

:)

i like driving unique automobiles... well id say this one will be unique allright...

but for 2k dollars i just cant pass it up.

i miss my old dolphin but it was too far gone with water damage so i traded it straight up even for a 4 thousand dollar jeep cj7 that i later sold for 5500....

LOL

a little bit more horse-trading and i will pick up my new dolphin in the next two days...

pics to follow soon!

also...

how can i check to ensure that the shower is still functional if the sink has been removed will it change the system? the tanks are there but what do i need to know?

any help would be greatly appreciated...

it will be good to be back on this forum!

• 4 weeks later...

wow 65 views and not a single reply...

im so glad i got such a "heartwarming" "welcome back to the forum" from everyone...

well at any rate i dont care what it is worth... my 84 is WAY nicer than my 83 toy was... and i got 4 grand out of my 83...

i will probably just use mine until summer and sell it.

:ThumbUp:

wow 65 views and not a single reply...

im so glad i got such a "heartwarming" "welcome back to the forum" from everyone...

well at any rate i dont care what it is worth... my 84 is WAY nicer than my 83 toy was... and i got 4 grand out of my 83...

i will probably just use mine until summer and sell it.

:ThumbUp:

Hey Johnny,

Sorry you slipped through the cracks; welcome back. Yes, the '84 Dolphin is nice. I would think when and if you decide to sell this one, it could hinder it somewhat with the sink, fridge, stove and some cabinets removed. Probably most people looking to buy a Toy MH would want these items as they would like to travel and/or camp and would need them. But you may find someone that would want a nice tailgate MH so I suppose you will have to see what happens then. In the meantime, go ahead and use it and enjoy it.

Best regards,

Dianne '84 Dolphin 300 Den (we love it!)

Hello Johnny,

Most folks would not view it as a camper anymore due to the missing items,

however, it may be of value to someone that needed a travelling office.

Regarding the shower, missing the sink (or adding one back in), should not

affect the shower one way or another. You may have to do a little patch work

to the water pipes (at least cap off the cut pipes that went to the sink if not

already done).

Dennis...

I read your initial post. Didn't have a clue as to what to say. I was raised with the belief that if you don't have the answer to a question, keep your mouth shut. I did.

glad to see your still out there too shoprat...

;)

you know its funny, i didnt use a single appliance in my old 83, all of those things were just in my way... the fridge didnt work and i wasnt interested in running the propane system w/o the fridge...

now i have one that utilizes all of that old space, is lighter, seats more people out of the rain... and has more storage capacity than new...

but some people say its worth less... (I know i told the seller that myself lol)...

I figure it to be worth $3000.00 to $3500.00 on a good day. I mean it is a well maintained 84 with a brand new weber carb, newer tires, alternator, water pump, batteries, inverter, no leaks... Time will tell... I may just keep it and drive the wheels off of it...

a coleman grill or a hotplate... a cooler, and a water jug and Im Still CAMPING!!!

so I still think of my tailgater as a "camper"

I will get some pics up, it always helps...

it IS good to be back on this forum...

these "yodahomes" as someone called it... are so much fun... i am going to take mine out and gas it up in the snow today...

we are getting 1-2 inches of snow in SW ohio today and by the global warming standards of january 2009 in Ohio... thats a decent little decoration on the landscape...

time for a drive!

Hey Jots,

I've kinda been out of the loop for a while too. Glad we're both back.

I'm all for fun. I wouldn't worry one little bit about resale; not having to pitch a tent, no guy lines, or crouching, or leaky tarps...minimal loading and unloading.....your own toilet and shower....and you can set up anywhere.....!!!! Perfect!!!

Reading through the past posts is helping me with my toy withdrawals. (Sadie's winterized and we can't go anywhere.) Once in a while, I'll just pop inside to encourage her....., "Spring's just around the corner. Keep yer chin up 'ol girl." <sigh>

How was your drive in the snow!?!?!

shanda

Hey Jots,

I've kinda been out of the loop for a while too. Glad we're both back.

I'm all for fun. I wouldn't worry one little bit about resale; not having to pitch a tent, no guy lines, or crouching, or leaky tarps...minimal loading and unloading.....your own toilet and shower....and you can set up anywhere.....!!!! Perfect!!!

Reading through the past posts is helping me with my toy withdrawals. (Sadie's winterized and we can't go anywhere.) Once in a while, I'll just pop inside to encourage her....., "Spring's just around the corner. Keep yer chin up 'ol girl." <sigh>

shanda

Hey Shanda,

Nice to see you're back as I was wondering about you and Sadie. The Little Puppy is winterized too, and we still start him up and take him out for a drive. I've been hoping it would warm up and we could take him on a winter campout, but Charles just looks at me with this "look" and tells me to wait until Spring! Guess that is what I'll have to do. <big sigh>

Johnny, how was that drive in the snow? We had a light dusting of it here in Tulsa this morning, but TLP is still sitting in the drive. He's a cold-natured little guy, so today would not be the best for a drive. Right now it is 19* so had better just let him rest!

Dianne

Hey Jots,

shanda

well i had a pretty good 75-80 mile drive in a snowstorm that day... i drove to my hometown and visited a friend and then i drove out to hueston woods state park at sunset... i passed through a county that had no road service and needed 2nd gear to crest a snowy, steep and slick hill... my heater works but isnt blowing well... so i had to hang a curtain behind the cab to keep the heat in the drivers area... but all in all it was well worth it... the snow at sunset in the state park was amazing... i have no idea if my rig has been winterized... it has no propane tank... I already have friends wanting to plan concert tours out of this thing... :)

cant wait for june.

if anyone has any suggestions for heating the coach with no propane system, im all ears....

:)

Try a tent heater. We used one to take the chill off in the Smokeys when we used the camper without knowing how to set up the furnace . About 60 bucks anywhere. 1 pound propane bottles in a six pack. Take it out in the summer..

Now we use the furnace. Old bones like heat.

It's worth a lot to some and nothing to others it not really like a car you wouldn't buy a car with no seats but it has intrinsic value with out all the trinkets for those that don't need them. Great party van, you could park it side ways at the drive in!

• 2 weeks later...
It's worth a lot to some and nothing to others it not really like a car you wouldn't buy a car with no seats but it has intrinsic value with out all the trinkets for those that don't need them. Great party van, you could park it side ways at the drive in!

hey thanks maineah

n1342654010_238492_4159.jpg

they might call the law...

this is my new rig.