Sideways Propane Tank

bikeforthelight

Hello there. I have an 85 Dolphin that has the old style propane tank and valve system. I have to upgrade it to the new style, but have been told that I am not supposed to have the propane tank on its side. The Dolphin has a storage area for the the tank and its made for the tank to be on its side. Does anyone have a fix for this? Is it okay to have the tank on its side? The old one seems to work fine on its side, but I am almost out of lp and need to get a new one. Thanks.

Hello there. I have an 85 Dolphin that has the old style propane tank and valve system. I have to upgrade it to the new style, but have been told that I am not supposed to have the propane tank on its side. The Dolphin has a storage area for the the tank and its made for the tank to be on its side. Does anyone have a fix for this? Is it okay to have the tank on its side? The old one seems to work fine on its side, but I am almost out of lp and need to get a new one. Thanks.

You do not need to replace your tank. What you have is an old horizontal tank with the pol fitting. You can have it filled. If it is too old you can take it to airgas or another lp company and get re certified. About $15 to $30. They stamp a new expiration date on the tank. Keep the re certification receipt to show to any propane service if they question it.

I have 2 that were recertified. These are different from you barbque tanks which must be upright.

You don't need a new tank, but maybe have to get it recertified. The tank you have is made to be used while lying on it's side but has to be filled in the vertical position. It is definitely not a BBQ tank.

If you look in this site's gallery you can find a "decal" that you can print out. It explains that the old tank that you have is still legal and exempt from having to have the new valves.

When I first bought my Sunrader, I figured I would just avoid the issue by upgrading my propane tanks. I purchased 2 of them on-line from Bi-Lo in the Washington state area for a total of $220 including shipping. However the bad news is that Bi-Lo no longer sells over the internet. They are available from RV stores like Camping World, PPL, etc but at a considerable cost.

Allen

post-481-1228831966_thumb.jpg

post-481-1228831988_thumb.jpg

You don't need a new tank, but maybe have to get it recertified. The tank you have is made to be used while lying on it's side but has to be filled in the vertical position. It is definitely not a BBQ tank.

If you look in this site's gallery you can find a "decal" that you can print out. It explains that the old tank that you have is still legal and exempt from having to have the new valves.

When I first bought my Sunrader, I figured I would just avoid the issue by upgrading my propane tanks. I purchased 2 of them on-line from Bi-Lo in the Washington state area for a total of $220 including shipping. However the bad news is that Bi-Lo no longer sells over the internet. They are available from RV stores like Camping World, PPL, etc but at a considerable cost.

Allen

What area of the galler is the decal? I cant seem to find it. Thanks for all the help everyone.

• 2 months later...
:mellow: Did you have any luck getting it re-certified?

I did the same thing. It cost 15.00 for the recert. and 16.00 to fill it. It is good for another 5yrs. if I remember correctly. Make sure you keep the paper work in the camper so you don't lose it.

• 7 years later...
On 2008-12-08 at 9:13 AM, motoyhomme said:

Allen

oldtanks.jpg

newtanks.jpg

a bit of necro posting but this setup addresses what I've been pondering. We are going full time starting this summer and have the old horizontal tank that full holds about 7.1lbs propane. Want to carry 40-60 as a just in case thing. We're out west where it's warm but nights can get below freezing even when it's 100F+ during the day.

was gonna do a rear mount with dual 40s but you know that's a higher right method. But was going to use old propane compartment for a 3-5Kw gennie. Now will rethink a rear mounted locked box for storage and gennie. I really like this propane option but didn't think we could get two 20's in there side by side. Outstanding!