Turbocharging The Diesel

Strassy

I drove the Mini Cruiser again yesterday and was astonished at the lack of power. Restless in bed I thought I thought about getting one of those big red triangles the Amish use on their buggies to keep from getting hit from behind. I could get a ticket on the Interstate on the way to the Races at Watkin's Glen.

What is the practicality of installing a turbo on the old diesel? In any case, I just bid on a pair of Garrett T3/T4 turbochargers. Any ideas?

Howdy Strassy...

Did you mention TURBOCHARGER ???

I put one on my 22 REC.It is gas, but I would imagine that your Diesel would be similar. A turbo packs in more air, so I had to increase the fuel delivery to avoid a lean condition resulting in an overheated engine. I had to also install a fuel/air ratio meter to monitor the exhaust so I could set up the fuel delivery for best power. And an exhaust temp guage to arrive at a good temp to keep things fairly cool. I found this out after I fried an exhast header. You do get more power, but you have to re-engineer the unit accordingly.

Hope this helps.

John

• 2 weeks later...
I drove the Mini Cruiser again yesterday and was astonished at the lack of power. Restless in bed I thought I thought about getting one of those big red triangles the Amish use on their buggies to keep from getting hit from behind. I could get a ticket on the Interstate on the way to the Races at Watkin's Glen.

What is the practicality of installing a turbo on the old diesel? In any case, I just bid on a pair of Garrett T3/T4 turbochargers. Any ideas?

Find a 1984/5 2LT in a salvage yard. Purchase the intake and exhaust manifolds, the turbo charger and the progressive injector pump.

The old 2L diesel is mechanical fuel injection so these are the only parts that are different from the 2L and 2LT.

Look in Canada as there were a lot of them imported up there.

Change your rear end gearing to 4.56:1 and you will get up to highway speed (60-65)

• 4 weeks later...
Find a 1984/5 2LT in a salvage yard. Purchase the intake and exhaust manifolds, the turbo charger and the progressive injector pump.

The old 2L diesel is mechanical fuel injection so these are the only parts that are different from the 2L and 2LT.

Look in Canada as there were a lot of them imported up there.

Change your rear end gearing to 4.56:1 and you will get up to highway speed (60-65)

Thanks, Turbo Mike. That's the first encouraging info I've received. Is there any good way to discover where such a motor might exist? A Canadian junkyard network, maybe?-Jeff

Jeff--here are some sites you can try.I am in British Columbia and we have a lot of Toyota trucks here.Don't know how many have turbos but there has to be a few.Good luck and let me know if I can help.

http://www.southislandimports.ca--big yard

www.toyotafiberglass.com--may have parts

http;//www.hondatoy.com

toyota 4x4 center

250-851-4480

www.uautoparts.com

www.recyclexchange.com

www.usedautopartsnetwork.com--covers Canada I think.

www.partsrequest.com

Talked to my son who is greatly involved with Toyotas and he said you might want to look into using propane enrichment.

It seems you can use propane to help the diesel burn better.He said a kit is $650-700 or you can make your own for under $200.

It involves a propane tank,some rubber or steel line,a gage for gas welding and a solanoid to shut the gas on and off as it goes into the engine.

Quite popular with his 4x4 crew and a whole lot cheaper than a turbo.Dave said there is a lot of info on the net about it.

I'll call some local wreckers Monday and see what the story is.If I've messed up some of these let me know.

Steve.

Thanks, Steve. Other folks have mentioned propane injection as a power booster. I ran an online add for a 1984 2LT turbo diesel motor and got quite a few hits. Wondering if sellers would separate the components? Prices haven't been mentioned. Need some warmer weather to work.

Hi Jeff--I got to cleaning my wood working shop and didn't get back to you.

Seems the answer to turbos by themselves here in B.C. is they are sold with the engine.If the engine is bad they are taken off and put on a good

engine.

Try the People I told you about.I only called the big Toyota autowreckers in B.C.,mostly around Vancouver.The other ones are more likely to part things out with a "help you out" idea of business.

I saw some of the same ads you did.You could buy a real nice motor home for some of the prices I saw.It seems $6,000 is a cheap gas to diesel conversion.Put a computer and trans swap with adapters and all the small parts you need and some of them were up to $10,000-15,000 for a 4x4.

Look the sites over.The front clip[called a half clip]is 4-6+thousand alone.

Some of the guys who wrote about it said you had to have an engine built for a turbo or you would put to much stress on the pistons and crankshaft.

I've studied this myself because I would like to have one.My sons answer is why?He may be right!

Steve.