How do I turn on the heat in my 89 toy winnabago

Guest Savannahann

Guest Savannahann

Greetings all.For the life of me I can't figure out how to turn on the camper furnace.On my old Dolphin it was as easy as making sure the propane tank was open and turning the thermostat to the on position with the ingnition on.I tried this with my 89 with no sucess.I don't even hear the thing trying to ignite.It's very cold here in the poconos,Help is much appreciated!Rob

Greetings all.For the life of me I can't figure out how to turn on the camper furnace.On my old Dolphin it was as easy as making sure the propane tank was open and turning the thermostat to the on position with the ingnition on.I tried this with my 89 with no sucess.I don't even hear the thing trying to ignite.It's very cold here in the poconos,Help is much appreciated!Rob

Guest savannahann

My 92 Winnie has a off/on switch under the wall thermostat & a valve down close to the furnace also,heats ok uses a lot of battery overnight and makes a lot of noise .

Thank You Tom,I tried that and still no sound of it trying to ignite.

Rob,

Try the following things:

1) Make sure the propane is on at the tank.

2) Make sure the gas valve is open at the furnace.

3) Light a burner on your stove to help get air out of the line.

4) Make sure the coach battery is in good shape and fully charged......or

5) Try firing the furnace with shore power hooked up.

Hope this helps,

Allen

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Savannahann

Rob,

Hi Allen,sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner.I will try this and let you know.I did buy one of those portable ventless indoor propane heaters for rv's and tents,44.00 for a remanufactured unit at Cabela's,have yet to use it,we'll see.Thank you again,Rob

Try the following things:

1) Make sure the propane is on at the tank.

2) Make sure the gas valve is open at the furnace.

3) Light a burner on your stove to help get air out of the line.

4) Make sure the coach battery is in good shape and fully charged......or

5) Try firing the furnace with shore power hooked up.

Hope this helps,

Allen

• 4 weeks later...

I just read your post on Jan 2, 2009 and may have a suggestion as to how to get the furnace to work. I was having the same problem and I believe it may be solved by making sure that the CO/2 detector in turned on and functioning before moving the thermostat to an on position. I can't be sure of this because we couldn't even get the stove pilot lights to worktried

• 2 weeks later...

On the automatic ones, they sometimes have to go through a timing cycle. So leave it on for a while. Mine takes a few minutes to start. I have a 91 Winny.

Please don't use a portable heater. We had an old gal here use a portable in her MH. The bottle wasn't screwed in correctly. The explosion blew out the side of the MH taking her with it. Her dog ran and hid and became dog roast.

post-332-1231904771_thumb.jpg

Futar,

Was it one of the Mr Heater (Buddy) portables that use the 1 lb bottle?

Allen

\

Please don't use a portable heater. We had an old gal here use a portable in her MH. The bottle wasn't screwed in correctly. The explosion blew out the side of the MH taking her with it. Her dog ran and hid and became dog roast.

I'm guessing it was one of those one pound bottle jobs. This whole affair was a Greek tragedy linked to a lot of people I know.

The MH belonged to an associate who takes very good care of things he owns. He decided not to use his MH any more and sell it. It was in excellent shape. Meanwhile this transient woman wins some money in one of those ridiculous law suits. She comes over to buy it. He asks her if she's familiar with MHs. She says yes and he sells it to her. She returns a few months later to complain that he sold her a lemon.

She claimed that she "only" drove it ten miles. The awning was torn off. One of the rear wheel rims was crushed so that it could not hold air. The propane tank was crushed. She also crushed the transmission. The MH looked like someone went over it with a jack hammer. The inside was piled floor to ceiling with her belongings so there was hardly any room to move. She wanted him to pay for repairs, a new registration and hospital fees because she had to be treated for nerves. He then realized that she was totally bonkers. He was in shock over what she did to the MH. Fortunately he had before and after pictures.

post-332-1232175519_thumb.jpg

post-332-1232175552_thumb.jpg

Guest savannahann

I'm guessing it was one of those one pound bottle jobs. This whole affair was a Greek tragedy linked to a lot of people I know.

Wow.The fact that she bought it with unearned money might partly explain how it got so trashed so quickly.Winged Fox,where is the co2 detector?Allen,I couldn't find the gas valve near the furnace,again it's a 89 winnie.Motoyhomme,that's some event.Do you think they cross threaded the tank when connected or do you think those units are just plain unsafe.Mine is the little buddy unit that uses the small 1 pound bottle.Thank you to all for your help.Rob

The MH belonged to an associate who takes very good care of things he owns. He decided not to use his MH any more and sell it. It was in excellent shape. Meanwhile this transient woman wins some money in one of those ridiculous law suits. She comes over to buy it. He asks her if she's familiar with MHs. She says yes and he sells it to her. She returns a few months later to complain that he sold her a lemon.

She claimed that she "only" drove it ten miles. The awning was torn off. One of the rear wheel rims was crushed so that it could not hold air. The propane tank was crushed. She also crushed the transmission. The MH looked like someone went over it with a jack hammer. The inside was piled floor to ceiling with her belongings so there was hardly any room to move. She wanted him to pay for repairs, a new registration and hospital fees because she had to be treated for nerves. He then realized that she was totally bonkers. He was in shock over what she did to the MH. Fortunately he had before and after pictures.

• 1 year later...

IMHO, anything can be dangerous if it isn't used properly. Doesn't sound like the woman that was injured, was too careful with anything. :thumbdown:

Tudy

84 Dolphin "Cricket"