BUTYL RUBBER TAPE VS PUTTY TAPE

gjewers

I am trying to seal the windows on the cab-over area. Was recomended to use butyl rubber tape by uou guys. The hardware store had "putty tape" in stock. They special ordered "butyl putty tape" for me but it looks to be the same thing. I used to work in the service bays at Camping World back when they first came to CA in '78 and we used putty tape but as I remember it was a little stiff and when you screwed things down (like vents) it kind of distorted then sealing surface between the screw because it was so stiff. What up? :omg:

• 1 month later...

I have been wondering that myself. Thanks for the push.

I found this in a google search for: BUTYL RUBBER TAPE VS PUTTY TAPE difference.

http://rvtravel.com/blog/lowtech/2007/04/i...-tape-time.html

According to Tiña, "For our purposes, there are two types of "putty tape," in play: Regular putty tape

is cheap, easy to work with, but dries out over time. Butyl tape is much more expensive (nearly twice the price as the regular), is harder to work with, but doesn't have the nasty way of drying out."

That works for me.

I found butyl at O'Reilly's auto parts. It's the kind of black sticky putty on a roll that holds in windshields. It's pretty amazing stuff. I used it in several different applications: sealing windows, vents, skylites....oh...and holding up a mirror.....

shanda