Hot Water Tank Winterizing

TheLittlePuppy

Hi All,

Have read all the entries about winterizing. Was going to drain the hot water heater but are having a problem locating the drain plug on our hot water heater. I took The Little Puppy by a friend's yesterday so he could show me how he drains the hot water tank in his '90 Toyota Dolphin. Our Dolphin is a '84 model and they are different to some degree. He looked under the coach and located two drain plugs, but could not get to them because pipes were in the way. We then looked inside the coach under the couch and saw the water lines that run to the hot water tank, but that did not appear to be where the drains are. He suggested we put RV antifreeze in the freshwater holding tank, use the waterpump to run it through the lines and it should go into the HWT and protect it. Then drain it in the spring, etc. We have already blown air in the lines and put RV antifreeze in the drains, but could not figure out the HWT (no manual to go by). We have a great RV guy that has done some repairs for us, but would rather not pay $69.95 fee if we can do it this way. It does seem like adding a few gallons of RV antifreeze would be the way to go with this. Thanks for any help!

Dianne

Dianne,

On my Sunrader the original water heater had a drain right on the front located in the anode. The anode is the large brass nut near the bottom of the tank. The anode is made to be removed and replaced occasionally. The tank can be drained by loosening the anode (use a large socket and lots of muscle). Make sure that the anode seals good when retightening it by using teflon plumber's paste.

When I decided to replace my water heater with an electronic ignition type, I was surprised that the new heater did not have a drain cock. I purchased a new anode/draincock combination from Camping World and installed that.

Allen

Don't forget your hot water tank holds about 6 gallons might be a long time before you see the pink stuff.

Allen & Maineah,

Thanks for your help. We will look for the anode brass nut and see if we can get it loose. We would rather go this route than the 6 gallons of antifreeze. This will be our Saturday morning motor home job. Charles generally shies away from anything that involves plumbing, but I think he will be able to tackle this! Again, thanks for your experienced input!

Dianne