Black tank replacement

RisaP

20220729_161042.jpg.2a47ca005bafc0c08900652e45143f1e.jpgHello,  I have 1986 Mini Cruiser. It has a crack at the black tank output area. Does anyone know how to figure out the size of the black tank? Also, anyone know who repairs black tanks in Southern California preferably Los Angeles County? I am a total newbie and all help suggestions are appreciated!

20220710_124246.jpg

Well you can repair it yourself. I've gone through this a few times on this site. 

I did a major fix on my black tank when it got hit by some wood in the road. Knocked the exit tube all the way off. Grind up some ABS with a rasp bit on your drill into a pan. Add ABS glue and mix it up so it's a thick slurry. Paint it on the crack and your done. It becomes an integral part of the ABS not just a top fix. Dollar store throw away pans and brushes. If it's close enough to the opening you can get some on the inside too. Mine was more complicated because it was so extensive but it never leaked even with putting the drain hose on and off hundreds of times

Your cracks are severe so after painting on one layer of abs glue lay open weave fiberglass strips all over the cracks. Then paint over with several more layers of glue slurry. Mine wasn't just cracked, mine was gone. I rebuilt the entire area this way and all these years later it's still fine

Linda S

Wow Linda! Thank you! Any recommendation on which ABS glue works the best? I figure I should try myself before I fork out hundreds of dollars. 

No just buy the stuff at the hardware store. Must be for ABS ONLY. Black stuff. Other glue near it will be for pvc. Not good. I bought an Abs connecter to grind up. Like a buck. Also you might have to mix up more than once. Dries very fast. Fiberglass must be layed onto wet slurry so have everything ready to go. 

Linda S