You need a manual? Look here first! 1985 Toyota Factory Service Manual and MORE!

Let's start a library collection!  Seems that one of the more common questions on here is "Where do I find XYZ manual?"  

First off there is no "factory Service manual" for an Ithica, Dolphin, Mini Cruiser, Warrior, etc, etc.  They are all built on a Toyota chassis (mostly if not all on the Toyota 1-ton chassis).  So if you need a manual on doing a tune up, brakes, an engine swap, or any other "Toyota mechanical info" then you are simply looking for the Toyota FSM.   These can be found on eBay, but usually not cheaply.  Also don't look for the year of your RV, but for the year of the chassis it is built on.  My 1986 Mini Cruiser for instance is built on a 1985 Toyota Pickup chassis.  A year difference is fairly common.  

I haven't gotten enough FSM manuals into my hands to verify this next detail, but Toyota seems to have released different manuals for every year instead of a couple across the board like basically every other publisher has done.  So if you buy a 1991 FSM, it might not cover a 1985.  For some things it won't matter.  But if you are buying a manual, get the closest to what you actually have.  Things like electrical diagrams will be different.  

Call your local car parts store!  The Chilton or Haynes manual you need just might be sitting on the shelf!  These are still in print for our trucks.  These are not as thorough as the FSM, but combined with Google and Youtube, they will help you get the job done.

Below is the 1985 FSM in digital format.  Here is also a link to it on my Google Drive where it can be opened without downloading it.  It is a pretty big PDF file at 40+MB! 535663319_1985ToyotaRepairManual.pdf

Edited by thewanderlustking

-=under construction=-

If I can hunt down any more factory manuals, I will post them up here!  I am hoping to at least find a later manual with the 3.0 in it.  If anyone has one, please message me or post it up below and I will add it here.    

There have been at least a couple online Toyota FSM posted up.  At the moment I can't find any that aren't overloaded with adds and pop ups, but if any do come up I will add them here!  Again please message me or post up any of these found!

For the house and various appliances, check here:

On 7/20/2022 at 11:39 PM, linda s said:

For the engine or the house. Most RV's have no service manual for the living space. Just owners user manuals. How to light the fridge and use stuff inside. For appliances go here

Service Documents and Manuals (bryantrv.com)

Linda's post from another thread.  This is a good source that didn't force me to solve multiple captchas and then not actually give me anything useful...  I hate those, they promise to have ANY random file or manual you are looking for and then force you to download software and yeah...  So far on the Bryantrv site I have been able to find, look at, and download anything needed for the appliances in the house.  

These days just about any job you want to do, you can find at least a few videos on Youtube of how to approach it.  This especially goes for specific Toyota mechanical repairs, but also TONS of generic videos on RV "house" repairs.  And some targeted ones, depending on what Toyota RV you happen to have.  As I said in another thread, this is a much easier resource to utilize frequently than a paper repair manual.  Or a digital copy of that.  

Where paper or digital manuals excel at is in things like torque specification charts, fluid capacities, and general appliance operation procedures.  For instance say I don't actually know how to safely fire up my water heater, the appliance manual for that will tell me this.  RV's do have some odd little things you have to do.  

Digital vs Paper...  This is a debate I even argue with myself over.  Personally, I hate reading digital manuals while working on a car/truck/RV. Maybe that's just because I grew up with physical paper manuals and reading actual paper books...  Old and cranky in my ways perhaps.  The Toyota FSM for example is over 1000 pages, and I can't pick up a digital copy and quickly thumb to where I need to be.  But I also hate getting my expensive shop manuals dirty...  At work my normal workflow is to look up whatever I need on the computer (I have access to most of the digital repair sites, Alldata, Identafix, Mitchell, etc) and then simply print out the relevant pages.  Most don't have this luxury.  But a digital copy of whatever manual you might need, and a printer is almost as good.    

Out on the road though traveling with a two volume Toyota FSM, all the brochures and user manuals for every appliance is simply foolish when you can store them in digital format on a tablet, ereader, or computer.   If I pop a head gasket 2k from home, I will happily manage with a tablet and the Toyota FSM in the parking lot of Autozone.  In a scenario like that having the right information in a less than ideal format, is still coming out way ahead.

So for me digital wins out on the road, but at home or the shop I am going to resort to a physical copy anytime I can.  I posted up a thread going into setting up a digital library over here:  Creating a compact and portable ereader library using Calibre!  Out on the road, a digital library option also gives you "room" to carry a lot of other books you wouldn't want to weigh down the RV with.  These Toyotas need all the help they can get!  

• thewanderlustking changed the title to You need a manual? Look here first! 1985 Toyota Factory Service Manual and MORE!

Layout Brochures!  

While there aren't specific user manuals, there are tons of layout brochures out there on the various Toyhome makes and models.  At the moment I don't have any of these ready at hand, but I know at least a couple members here have collected a bunch of these.  Again, please post up anything like this you have and I will add them here.  

• 1 month later...

Hello thewanderlustking. I just wanted to say “thank you” for posting up the Toyota FSM and for the time you have taken to look into and address all the brochures, layouts etc. Much appreciation on my end and probably from many others which i thought you might like to hear. So once again “Thank You”.

You're very welcome on the FSM!  "Somewhere" there was, and hopefully still is, a repository of a lot of those documents.  I have spent a little time hunting for them, but not long enough yet lol.  Derek Up North has collected a bunch it seems...  Check out this thread: All Manuals for a 1986 Toyota Dolphin  There is other stuff in there too, not just 1986 Dolphin.  I need to go through that and see how many of the links are still working, and then figure out the best way to put them here directly.  My google drive solution probably isn't the best long term idea.  

Somebody on here sent me a nice zipped file folder that had a bunch of goodies in it.  I am also trying to find that lol...  

• 8 months later...

So I bought a 1986 Toyota Warrior Mico Mini  last year in Charlotte NC which is about 90 miles from me. 2 owner with young owner of only a year that didnt do much to it but the original family kept it parked after mom and dad aged out of camping. Only 29k miles and runs great!. Needs some interior love but is dry, strong and sound. I recently found most all of the manuals and brochures for the appliances and such hidden inside. Including the bill of sale (loan agreement including trade in of 1976 oldsmobile) and 1986 owners "guide" for Toyota. truck The real prize was a fold out schematic diagram of the house electrical. Its about 36" x 18" when extended. I will try to get these scanned in for the community use

JT

• 3 months later...