Americana Cabover Window Replacement

RS Hinks

Hi, has anyone replaced the Cabover window on their Americana?  It is slightly curved around the front of the Cabover area and held in a rubber gasket material, no other frame. Looking for options on materials, methods, sealants, etc.  NOT presently looking at fiberglassing over the window and deleting it. I currently have it sealed on the outside with a border of Eternabond tape. It works but isn’t pretty. We are looking at completing out interior rebuild and hoping to replace the window first before we finish the bunk area. 

Thanks!

C6FCEADC-EAD8-4CE0-9B2E-1D050A27023A.jpeg

47FE8551-2D75-44B1-86DC-F9CC30AC49E3.jpeg

7AA65C34-FE7F-4F8C-B399-0AD40CD833B0.jpeg

Not too different than a Sunrader window but easier. Plexiglass cut to size and new rubber gasket. Will post gasket for Sunrader. Can't tell if yours is different until your brave enough to pull it out. Need to know is current window glass? Thickness? Thickness of body too

Linda S 

This is the size for a Sunrader

TRIM-LOK - LK1179-25 Trim-Lok EPDM Dense Rubber Window Locking Gasket – Fits 1/4” Glass and 1/8” Panel Edge, 25’ Length – Two-Piece Locking System (Inline), Weather Stripping Seal for Stationary Windows or Windshields: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

And it needs a lock key

TRIM-LOK - LK1179-25 Trim-Lok EPDM Dense Rubber Window Locking Gasket – Fits 1/4” Glass and 1/8” Panel Edge, 25’ Length – Two-Piece Locking System (Inline), Weather Stripping Seal for Stationary Windows or Windshields: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Yours might need a different size so you would have to measure window and body thickness.

Thanks for the links. I’m going to look into getting the replacement window today. Has yours leaked since replacement?

I don't own an Americana. I have Sunraders. I have removed and resealed windows several times and no they don't leak. 

It is not an easy job, but I do think your Americana might be simpler because the window is flat. 

I did say that the weatherstrip I linked fits a Sunrader. Yours might be the same but I can't be sure. measuring thickness of window and body is very important. Are you going to cut the window yourself or find someone to do it. If you want to try it yourself there are jig saw blades for plexiglass. Also tape both sides to prevent cracks and chipping. Painters tape and lots of it. 

Also installing takes some knowledge and skill. You can see the gap in the seal on yours. That means it wasn't originally installed properly and is probably why it leaked. Must be tight. Here is a video of Sunrader windows getting installed

Wrap around Toyota Sunrader window gasket replacement - YouTube

Before you put the window in your going to want to get all the gunk off from the tape. Everything will stick to it and it will get black. I've had luck using goo gone and barkeepers friend mixed. Brush it on and let it sit for a while. Goo Gone softens the adhesive residue and Barkeepers Friend gives some abrasion to get it off. After clean with alcohol.

Good luck. I did see some old posts and it was like that when you bought it. Such a beautiful RV it would be nice to get it back to looking like it should. 

Linda S

Bought a sheet of 1/4” Lexan (polycarbonate) today and ordered the rubber seal.  Got the old window out, the opening cleaned up, will do some minor fiberglass repair around the window opening to reduce likelihood of leaks. Hope to reinstall next week. Thanks again for your tips. 

And did you measure the thickness of your coach body. On Sunraders the 1/8-inch side goes next to the plexi and the 1/4 side goes next to the coach. Like I said might not be the right trim for you. I can pretty much guarantee your old window isn't 1/4 inch thick. 

Linda S

Yes, I saw the various gasket sizes. Body is 1/4”, the Lexan sheet I bought is also 1/4” so I bought the 1/4 x 1/4 gasket. Should be here by Tuesday. Got the opening all cleaned up, just a little repair work to do in a few spots where the fiberglass isn’t as smooth as I’d like. Also ordered a couple tools to aid with the installation and watched a couple videos. Hope to get it done next week.

Will be a huge change, the prior window was nearly opaque when we bought it, I was able with some aggressive sanding and polishing to get it at least so we could kinda see through it. Not to mention all the beautiful Eternabond tape decorating the front of the cabover area!

• 1 year later...

New to the club around here. Just got my first Americana and I am starting to take out some of the over cab. I believe there was previously a leak from the window and am going to have to replace a good deal of the plywood and paneling. How did your window replacement go for the plexiglass front window? Mine looks the same and if it is as simple as cutting some plexiglass and putting the window seals in it can do that!

PXL_20230815_010314883.jpg

Hi, the window replacement went OK but was a lot of work, and not quite as simple as cutting a new plastic window and getting a new gasket. Turns out the gaskets don’t like sharp bends and the upper corners are way too sharp. So I had to fill in the corners a bit. Also still some small leaks with the new window, so I sealed it with a tiny bead of butyl caulk. So far no leaks (knock on wood!)

Well no leaks so far from your repair, that's good to hear! After reading your reply I was on the fence as to wither or not I was going to try and replace it or just deal with it like it is. After the rain we had yesterday I found three leaks in the front window and three more in the two side windows which means I am just going to replace/reseal all three of them. Do you have any pictures you wouldn't mind sharing of the finished product? Once I get the windows sealed up, I am planning on putting new wood and carpet in the whole over cab area so seeing how you did it might give me some ideas about how to tackle it all.