I called around to junk yards and found a free floating 6 lug rearend/axle. I have to travel 400 miles to get it. What should I look for when I get there? It does not come with wheels or the springs. Will the springs on the 85 work? Will I be able to purchase new wheels fairly easily? Do you suppose the tires will be the same size? And, should I do something with the front 5 lug wheels? Thanks for any replies that come my way.

I called around to junk yards and found a free floating 6 lug rearend/axle. I have to travel 400 miles to get it. What should I look for when I get there? It does not come with wheels or the springs. Will the springs on the 85 work? Will I be able to purchase new wheels fairly easily? Do you suppose the tires will be the same size? And, should I do something with the front 5 lug wheels? Thanks for any replies that come my way.

Rear ends are pretty bullet proof. Look for signs of leaks at the drive flange which would indicate baring problems.

Rims can be purchased new still if you cannot find any in salvage yards. http://www.wheels-and-rims.com/cgi-bin/web...?p_prodid=18312

Tires are the same size.

There is a company that makes 5 stud to 6 stud front rotor adapters. http://www.customcommercialwheel.com/ Using those all 7 rims are 6 lug type.

The axle will fit up with your old springs.

Diesel Mike will know more about this than I do, but I'm finding now that I should have had the 1 ton's Sway Bar shipped along with the rearend. Wouldn't hurt to pick up the 1 ton's SWAY BAR too if you're making the trip....and the brake lines if possible.

I'm kind of learning these things as I go along.

Wishing you the Best.

shanda

• 1 month later...

For your front wheel conversion, the spindle shaft is the same 84-93, even though the spindle assy is not, per the interchange manuals. These years use the same oil seal and bearings. Any six lug hub/rotor/calipre assy should bolt right one. Thats what I used on my 84 Mirage and 86 Nova Star. Make sure and get the brake backing/dust plate from the one ton donot because your 1/2 plate will not clear the one ton calipre. This gives you much larger front brakes and finding factory 5 to 6 adapters is pretty difficult.