Original factory 5 lug axle

PennyG

How much weight is too much for the original 1985 5 lug duel axles on a chasis with a 21 foot Sunrader? I am looking at one with 66630 original miles on it. One owner, one guy. I have read about the horror stories about these axles. Have called around a bit to find a beefed up 6 lug axle but didn't find one yet. How do I find what the specs are if I want one built? I would just like to chat with someone with some answers.

Hi Penny The 5 lug axel would be a deal buster for me IT just seems to much of a risk toy rvs with the 5 lug axel are over weight from the factory that's why they were recalled trying to switch them out might end up a long weight as they are getting harder and harder to find a 1ton axel just my thoughts Dan

If you don't want to spend the money for a 6 bolt rear don't buy it. I would not drive it any where until it was replaced it's running on barrowed time. I would continue to look they are out there I looked at a 85 Sunrader yesterday with a 6 bolt rear

I found a 6 lug axle/rearend without wheels or leaf springs. Will the springs on the 1985 work with this? I am figuring that new wheels are available at a tire store -special order. I have to travel to pick up the axle, what should I look for?

I found a 6 lug axle/rearend without wheels or leaf springs. Will the springs on the 1985 work with this? I am figuring that new wheels are available at a tire store -special order. I have to travel to pick up the axle, what should I look for?

Make sure that the center of the axle protrudes past the rim where it bolts to the brake drum. Like this:

What you do not want:

O

|

|

|

O

The "O" is the tire, the | is the rim. If it is flush, don't buy it. However:

O

|

|]]]

|

O

If there is a protrusion with several bolts in it in the middle of the axle, then go ahead. I hope that makes sense...

here's an article abotu it:

http://www.toyotamotorhomes.com/files/Axle_FAQ.pdf

I think the general cost to have someone install the good axle is around $2000 to $2500. Add that to the price and look around and see if there is anything comparable in the price range. Below is a couple of broken axle stories. Both 18 footers

http://www.toyotamotorhome.org/forums/inde...;hl=axle+needed

http://www.toyotamotorhome.org/forums/inde...amp;hl=yosemite

I sure do appreciate the information you send to me. Of course nothing is as easy as it sounds (find a six lug free floating axle and attach it where the 5 lug was). I won't back out now because I bought the Sunrader (84 Toy with an 85 Sunrader) and the 6 lug axle (unless when I get there 400 miles away and it doesn't look like it will work). Is there anyone connected to this forum that lives around Tacoma/South Seattle that has done one of these conversions? I would like to call them and talk. I will give them my cell number too. I will be in the area Sunday night 10/12/08 to pick up the axle in Buckley on Monday 10/13/08.