moldy odor in a carpetted cabinet

magic princess

Hey Princes, having lost everything to hurricane Katrina I tried salvaging a cherished quilt by using all kinds of methods to remove the smell. Someone even recomended vanilla extract!

Give in and tear it out.

Be prepared, I just pulled up the 'shag' carpet in my Toy and it has a about 7 trillion staples in it. I used a flat prybar to get up under the carpet and a razor knife to cut it in reasonable strips and squares. Be sure to wear some leather gloves, those rusty staples/nails make for nasty cuts and perhaps the need for an updated *tetnus shot.

After, pull the small carpet fibers still stuck under the remaining staples with some needle nose plyers then hammer the staples all the way in...they are a pain to try to pull out.

Then cut some vinyl shelf liner the size of your cabinet. I bought a can of spray adhesive to make mine stick.

*Update your tetnus every 8-10 years.

Kenny

Hey Princess

My advice would be to rip it out too. You may never get rid of the smell but most of all mold is a real health hazard. I use to work in a hospital and have heard a lot about mold and mildew causing a great deal of problems from small irritations to serious problems. In such a small place and right under your nose when you sleep I'd say get rid of it for sure.

Cathy

Edited by iadoptedatoy

Try a generic brand of Oxyclean mixed in water. It is a peroxide type of bleach. It will oxidize the mold. Use a wet vac to suck it up. This will not work unless you can get it to dry within a reasonable period of time. So use some ceramic heater with ventilation.

Good luck