81 Sunrader - The Sadie Series - Episode 7 (part 1)

shandamac

Wow! Great to see so many new toy lovers have joined the group. I've been out of touch for a little while, but wanted to pop in for an update and say, "Hi there!". By now, like me, you guys and gals know you're in the right place for all the ToyMoho Support you could ever need.

I bought my '81 Toy Sunrader in May of this year, before I knew anything about this forum, (or motorhomes for that matter). She was really cheap and needed tons of work. Even so, she was a little darling and I named her Sadie. I soon found out she had the dreaded 5 lug, welded on extra wheel, light duty rearend. So for the last few months, while working on the house and under the hood, I've been searching for the elusive dual, six lug floating 1 ton assembly. Several hits here in Oklahoma...all attached to working trucks...too much $....some hits at North central salvage yards....turned out to be the 5 lug on closer inspection.....(don't tease me).....finally went out of state..... found what I was looking for in Phoenix....Toyotasalvage.com ...huge place.....dual rims and brake lines included....$800. (Was thinking of taking a road trip to pick it up, but the cost of gas and wear and tear on my husband's truck to and from would have been gi-normous, and decided to hire UPS LTL.) Was quoted $360, had it shipped straight from the Salvage to my new best friend "Jerry,The Axle Guy", where he's taken it apart and checked it over. Jerry, called last week to say "all is well" and to bring Sadie in on Monday.....That'll be "tomorrow". I can't wait. He's measured the new rims and the old rims and thinks tires will be no problem to switch over (I sure hope so.....they're brand new!) and said that if the rearend trade out goes smoothly enough, she'll be road ready no later than Thursday!!!! Yeehaw!!!!!

(Two overnight road trips gigs planned this month, and I was sure hoping to have my own bed to crash in.)

Okay....so I'm major excited. I still have a few more cosmetic and minor things I'll be working on now that cooler weather is on the way, but with the new rearend, I'll feel like the "Sadie Saga -Project Series" will be complete, and it'll be on to "The Saga of Sadie, Fiddlin' for Fuel".

Have a safe and happy Fall Season everyone!

shandamac

Shanda, you've been missed, glad you checked in! I figured you were searching/waiting on the new axle or we'd have seen your interesting posts sooner. So happy you've found your axle and are so close to having it ready to hit the road. Thanks for posting where you found your axle, that might help others that are still searching for one. Now we need gas to come down (yeah, right) so we can see the passing scenery from our Toys. Even if it doesn't come down a lot, we do get better mileage that the bigger rigs. Let's see, more room or better gas mileage....ummm, I'll take the mileage behind door number 1! Keep us informed about Sadie and you in the upcoming weeks. Happy Fall to you!

Dianne

Hello shandamac,

Good to hear you found the 6 bolt axle and are in the process of getting it installed.

If Thursday works out for you having the job completed, you could (plug coming...) can

give her a complete road test by attending the Mid-West Toy-In in Illinois on Oct. 3rd-5th...:-)

Dennis...

Hello shandamac,

Good to hear you found the 6 bolt axle and are in the process of getting it installed.

If Thursday works out for you having the job completed, you could (plug coming...) can

give her a complete road test by attending the Mid-West Toy-In in Illinois on Oct. 3rd-5th...:-)

Dennis...

Thanks Dennis! Thanks Dianne!

Totally stoked. Handed Ol' Jer the keys this afternoon, and saw the new rearend and rims sitting on thier pallet ready to go. He estimates the whole job being completed by Wed pm.

Re: The Toy-In. Thanks Dennis for the personal invite. I wasn't prepared for the motorhome to be ready so soon. The MWTI is on the calendar for next year though. Sadie and I look forward to visiting with our Toy Cyber Sibs soon.

Peace and Prosperity for us all.

s