Getting my license

:ThumbUp: I am about to take and hopefully pass the test to get my Amateur radio technician license. The test is given the first and third saturday of each month. I have already purchased a radio, a Yaesu FT-8800r. Hope to get it sometime next week. It has what is called a remote head, thats the faceplate where all the knobs and buttons are, the main radio box mounts elsewhere like behind the seat. Space is very limited so I have yet to figure out where I am going to mount the remote head. Even though it is small there just is no room.

I am really excited about getting my license, been wanting to do this for many many years.

Thats it, I'll post back in a couple of weeks with hopefully good test news and some pics showing the install. I will be putting it in my pickup first though as that is my daily mover.

Greg

• 4 weeks later...

Passed the test, now an official amateur radio operator. Got a radio in my pickup. Next step is to install an antenna on the motorhome for 2 meter and 70 cm. That will be a challenge. Really do not want to drill a hole down thru the top. So attatching to some sort of bracket assembly will be needed. This will be an ongoing project that is a few weeks away.

• 2 months later...

Hi Greg -

A belated congrats on getting your ham license! When you are able to figure out how to mount a 2 meter or 70 cm. antenna on your fiberglass body, I would be interested in how you did it. The fact that all the 1/4 wave and loaded 1/4 wave antennas need a ground plane kind of stopped me. I am considering a coaxial whip mounted on a mast which I plan to mount to my front bumper, since these antennas don't require a ground plane, but also have no gain. I hope you are having great fun with ham radio - welcome to the ham fraternity.

Bill WA7FBU

Hi Bill

Thanks. I have been having a lot of fun!

My plan for the toy is to use a c type bracket with some welded on ground plane radials. The antenna of choice is an antennex 144/440cs which has a spring on it with the whole thing mounted somewhat center of the roof. The bracket will be screwed down with stainless steel screws, 4 on each side of the bracket. I am going to use a product called lexall as a sealant and adhesive for the bracket. The ground radials will basically lay on the roof and also will be glued down with the lexal so as to stop any movement and rattles. The coax will enter at the rear roof where I already have an entry for my rear back up lights. The radio itself will be mounted under a cabinet in the rear with the remote head and speaker cabled to the dash. When camped the head can be moved to the rear.

My reasons for doing it this was is so that I do not create any large thru holes in the roof (sunraders are about an inch thick). Not much hiding or head room to bring a connection thru anywhere near the center. My only other choice was to mount it at the very rear where a cabinet could hide the mount and coax or above the shower where the shower could hide the mount and coax. For those I would have used a uhf bulkhead type mount with a nmo adapter. Plus I plan to have some solar panels mounted in those areas in the future. The ground plane and being too close to the tv antenna were the negatives there. The negative about center mount is removing the antenna when under the car port. I have yet to do a height calc, it could end up over 12 feet.

Might start putting it together this weekend and I will take some photos and post them. Got a web site Ki6bji.org

Greg

Hi Greg,

The antenna project sounds like great fun, but challenging! I am eager to see the pix and hear how it works. My approach of mounting the antenna on a mast attached to the front bumper is to avoid putting any holes in ther roof. It is a real pleasure to have an RV that does not leak. Our previous rig was a 1971 9 ft. camper and leaks were a constant battle. Most of my operating is done on 40 meters, so I will be using a Hustler antenna and hoping that the truck hood, cab and frame will be enough ground plane at that frequency. It is really nice to have the option of removing the head from the radio to take up less space an the cab. Does your rig use a fiber optic link between the head and radio? I think most of them do. Isn't it a slick deal? My current SSB rig is way to big to fit in the cab, so I am hoping to buy a newer one soon. I don't think there are any 2 meter or 450 repeaters that are linked into Lake county - do you know of any? I actually do have a 450 rig that works but no 2 meter rig. If there is a 450 link into this location, maybe we could chat.

Bill

My first attempt at an antenna mount was somewhat of a failure. I will take pictures of the next prototype. Basically it should have worked fine but I feel the swr is too high. I borrowed an antenna analyzer from a friend. It resonates good at the 2 meter side but the swr is up around 2.5 at 145 mhz. Going to work it over some more and see if I can get it down. I changed the ground radial configuration, a cut off and reweld option. It looks really bad, galvanized is hard to weld.

There is one linked repeater in my area covering a good portion of the state, I think its cal-net. I can get in thru the Crystal Peak repeater which is Basically in my back yard. 443.750 + 100hz.

My mobil rig is a Yaesu ft-8800r. The remote head cable uses a 6 wire standard phone plug. I will be able to run both the head and speaker thru a cat 5 cable.

73's

Greg

Hi Greg,

Sorry your antenna project didn't meet your expectations. I hope the next version works OK. I figure if the SWR stays below 1.5:1 from 146 thru 148 Mhz that usually works for me. An an unrelated topic (I'd like your advice) my holding tank status panel looked terrible when we bought our Sunrader (1982 180RD) and the pushbutton switches were intermittent, so I took it apart and had the panel powder coated and new legends silk screened on. I found some exact replacement switches which was a surprise because of the age of the unit and also traced out the circuit so my question is - do you think I should post this information? Do you think it would be of use since I don't know if many people would want to repair these panels themselves? I'm eager to here if your next antenna mount project succeeded!

73's

Bill WA7FBU

Hi Bill

I have my second mount built. It consists of 4 40cm and 4 2 meter ground radials. I was going to screw down the mount but now I think that I will just adhear it to the surface with Lexall. Lexall is very strong stuff. The ground radials will also be glued down for support. After testing the antenna I bought (an antennex cs144/440 which has a spring on the radiator whip) and not being able to get a good match I did some more testing with my truck antenna, a Diamond Super Gainer 7500. I got a good match on both the 70cm and 2 meter sides. Testing of both antennas on my truck were about the same except that the antennex really does like a huge hunk of metal under it. I think it is a 1/4 wave antenna where as the diamond is a 5/8. So any how I bought another diamond 7500 for the rv. No spring but it does fold down which can be a benifit. Too bad it also does not have a spring. Its much taller than the antennex. After I get it all set up with a radio and a ground from the antenna to chassis perhaps the antennex will match better. Hopefully this weekend or next I will have those results.

I think your repairs and findings on the panel definitly would benifit everyone. If you want to send me some photos and text I will put up a page on the main site for you. I found that I could not get mine to zero out. So after investigating I found the wire connections under the coach to be corroded where the crimp connectors were used. I removed all those and soldered them and put shrink tube over the joints. I did the same for the inside. It did make a difference. I filled the holding tanks and emptied the water tank then zeroed them.

Greg ki6bji 73's

gallery_1_96_229885.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Greg,

I imagine by now you have tested your new antenna mount. I really looks good and beautifully made. Did it work OK?I have thought long about the purchase of a replacement SSB rig, and after corresponding with you have decided that perhaps a VHF/UHF dual bander would be a better choice. My neighbor and I always had a daily schedule on 40 or 20 meters when we went on our trips just to check in to see if all was OK on the home front, but he has had to give up ham radio due to a severe loss of hearing. So it would probably work better for me to be able to use a repeater for emergencies when out in the middle of the Nevada desert, as well as to be able to use the Calnet (or similar) system to get into your area.

I sent the pics of my status panel repair to you on last monday. I don't know if you can use any of it to post to the forum, as I don't have the ability to do so myself, but maybe just the schematic would be useful for someone.

73's

Bill WA7FBU

Bill, I got the pics, schematic and a nice donation check, thank you very much for that. I will put that info up on the site as soon as I can. Your panel looks different than mine.

I almost have my radio installation completed. Below should be a picture of the new electrical panel I put together. The so-239 is for an external antenna connector. The new antenna mount antenna actually will come thru the open hole on the upper left. The volt meter is a cigarette lighter type that I used. I could not find a small affordable digital VM so that got drafted. There are two rocker (black) switches, one controls the refrigerator rear compartment exhaust cooling fan, has a red flashing led to remind me its on. The other will eventually control a boat bilge pump that will pump shower water to the grey tank. The silver toggle is to turn the VM on or off. There is a cigarette lighter outlet and four Anderson power pole connections. The small rubber grommet is for the data cable for the remote head in the cab. There is also a roof top TV cable connection and a shore TV cable connection. After testing I am a bit concerned with the audio quality thru the cat five data cable to the cab speaker. Just does not seen very clear so I may be running a separate audio cable up to the front.

And thats basically it. SWR was basically non existent with the diamond 7500, I have not yet tested the antennex. I ordered a new mobile mount from Yaesu to mount the radio in the back. Besides needing to put up some mike clips front and back its almost done.

I mounted the remote head to a bracket that inserts into the ash tray on the dash. The ash tray will push all the way in and using super Velcro to mount the head. I will get some images posted of that soon.

Thanks again Bill for the check.

post-1-1141336795_thumb.jpg

Hi Greg,

Glad your antenna mount worked out so well. The panel looks great - were are you going to mount it - in the coach? Our shower drain does not go to the toilet holding tank but comes out straight down about a foot to a female hose connection - which works for us as we carry a portable 5 gallon tank for shower water. Does your fan for the back of the fridge make a difference? We had one in our last RV but I really could not tell if it mattered an d to install one in our Sunrader would be a major job (have to pull the fridge) . But I would do it if I thought it would help. I think I'm like you, I love doing little mods to the RV to improve it.

73's

Bill WA7FBU

The panel has been mounted above the refer in place of the OEM TV and cig plug. Radio is also going to be mounted on that wall. I will stick the head to the radio with Velcro. Reason is if I mount it under the cabinet facing out the radio is about 3 inches too long. I had thought of putting the radio inside the cabinet but stuffing a weeks cloths inside would eliminate any ventilation.

The refer fan is mounted at the bottom of the outside top grill/vent facing up. Sp basically all I had to do was pull the grill fabricate a bracket and hook it up. The fan is a computer case cooling fan. 12 volt, low noise and low amperage. And it does work for me I think. It helps pull the air up and out but how much I really do not know. Anyhow I tend to have refer cooling problems in the summer when at the 7000 foot level. Last trip I found some snow and filled some bags and that did the trick. It gets warm when traveling thru the Sacramento valley on a 90 degree day and then it just will not cool down sometimes. I have thought of buying a replacement cooling unit and replacing it, but extra cash has gone to other projects and the needs of life.

I have considered getting a bladder to catch the shower water with a hose like your set up but have not been able to find a cheap bladder. I actually like that idea better than the pump.

Greg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Greg - Have you got your panel mounted yet? The radio install plans sound good - have you got any photos ? I am attaching a photo of our power center (I hope-first time I have tried it) There was no 12V outlet in the rig when we bought it so I added this. There is a 250 watt inverter there is well. I really like the dual outlet /voltmeter we use, it is real handy I hope it shows up in the photo.

73's

Bill WA7FBUpost-137-1143434764_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some pics of the final installation. I was able to mount the radio head using velcro to a plate which I custom bent to fit into the dash ashtray. A block of wood holds it in place. It all works really well. I have not yet though found a spot to place a bracket for the mike on the dash area. The head is easily moved from front to back with velcro holdig the head to the radio.

73's

Greg

dash1.jpg

ashtray.jpg

remoteheadvelcro.jpg

rvradiorefer.jpg

Hi Greg,

VERY impressive! The install looks beautiful. I am really intersted in the housing for the tilt/grade meter. Did you fabricate it yourself, or was it something commercially available? I can't imagine how you find enough time to do all the stuff to your rig, maintaion the site and still work. I thank you again for providing us with this great site.

73's

Bill WA7FBU

Thanks Bill, the tilt/grade meter came with my rig when I bought it. Its actually a factory option. Probably really rare to find now. It has front and back, and left and right angle. It also has a barometer with elevation markings. If you know your present elevation you set it then you can see your accent or decent etc. Or even tell if a weather front is approaching. The tilt part is very accurate and can be used to level the rig. There is a name for the unit but I can not remember it though.

Greg

• 1 month later...

Thanks Bill, the tilt/grade meter came with my rig when I bought it. Its actually a factory option. Probably really rare to find now. It has front and back, and left and right angle. It also has a barometer with elevation markings. If you know your present elevation you set it then you can see your accent or decent etc. Or even tell if a weather front is approaching. The tilt part is very accurate and can be used to level the rig. There is a name for the unit but I can not remember it though.

Greg

Inclometer?

Inclinometer...me thinks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
After putting it off and making up excuses for 13 years, I've started today to learn morse code. And I could kick myself cause I learned 5 characters in an hour.

-.- . ....- --. -... ...

I think that's great. I have yet to sit down and start learning code. Did about 30 yrs ago so maybe some will come back. The Tech of course does not need code but to go for the general code is required. That's Morse code for those who have no idea what we are talking about. The FCC has been kicking the idea around of dropping the code requirement but has not done so yet. There is of course a big debate about the code requirement, some say yes and some say no. Most countries have dropped the requirement. I think what I have to do is buy a radio I can not use until I get the general ticket then I will be more motivated.

Keep us posted on the progress.

73's

Greg

I guess I don't have an opinion about weither they remove the code requirement or not. But I remember back in... 91 I think it was, when they started the tech no-code (this was when you still had Novice, Tech, Tech No Code, General, Advance, and Extra) and the ole-timers were having a fit, I mean, there were flare ups on the local repeaters sometimes about it. But that has passed, dropping the Novice and Advance classes has passed, and people still live on. Now I guess if they dropped testing someday (like the ole CB days) then I'd probably have a fit like the ole timers... go figure.

At least if I pass this time I won't have to wait the 8-12 WEEKS like we did before the internet!

• 3 weeks later...

I clearly remember the big flap regarding changing the code requirement - I really sweat bullets getting past 13 WPM back in 1966 when I got my General class license. I think the attitude back then about reducing the requirements to 5 WPM was "I had to do it and you should too". I just know that I have had such great fun with ham radio that I am really happy for anyone that gets their license because I know that it will be great for them as well. I hope you get your license soon! Just ask Greg - it sounds like he's having a ball with his.

73's

Bill WA7FBU

• 4 months later...

Sunday is RARSFest in Raleigh, they have a VE test session. Last week I downloaded the General and the Technician test pools. This weekend I read the General pool and my 10yr old daughter read the Tech pool. Today we both took multiple practice tests on QRZ.com and passed each time.

Tonight my 9yr old daughter approached us about this. So I gave her the tech pool, she read for a half hour, then gave her a practice test, to gauge if she would pick it up. She got 13 right! Not bad for a half hours exposure to this hobby.

Guys- I'm trying to understand the need you guys have to do this stuff. I know I probably sound like a grumpy ol' man, but I just don't see the attraction in doing this . Geez, guys ! Call someone on the telephone if you have to.

I'm now donning my armor to lessen the cyber blows.

No blows, cyber or otherwise here..

The challenge of making radio contact with another country. No charge, sometimes you end up with a foreign buddy. QSL cards (confirmation of contact cards) you send back and forth.

Learning. I probably knew a good bit more than most 14 yr olds about electronics when I took my tech test in 1993, but I've learned tons more.

Helping others. We are the forefront in emergency communications when the stuff hits the fan. In 2000, we provided ALL communications for Gwinnett County GA (fire, ems, police, etc) when the ice storm knocked out their 800mhz trunking system. We used APRS (positioning reporting over radio) to mark the damage path/area for the Red Cross when tornados hit Norcross and Gainsville GA. Those are just the ones I've been involved in, there are plenty more.

Meeting others. What do Toyota Motorhome Toy-ins, Airstream Rallys, etc have in common? Groups who meet and get to know one another. We have them too.

Thats just what I could come up with off the top of my head. Some people it doesn't tickle their fancy. Thats fine and no one would say one thing one way or the other if you didn't.

It's just another hobby, just like camping, sewing groups, woodworkers, metal workers, 4x4ers, etc.

knowltondata could not have said it better. Its an interest like anything else. And even though its a hobby it is far more. As knowltondata said there is the emergency services angle. We to have what is called ARES short for Amateur Radio Emergency Service. We live in a coastal mountain range that is prone to natural disasters, floods, landslides, fire and earthquakes. I became a Ham not just because I really like radio communications but also to become part of the local emergency radio services. We have probably a far superior communications network than the Government.

I think most people have not a clue the many faces of amateur radio. From commute chitchat to world wide communications and local emergency communications. I don't even know all the different modes of communications, voice over am, ssb, fm and fm repeaters, code, TV, digital. Communications are now even possible by connecting repeaters through the internet linking several geographic locations together.

One of the best exposures to ham radio can be with the purchase of a communications scanner. Radio shack carries several. Plug in some of the local ham repeater frequencies and do some listening. Tune in when there are some emergency practice nets. Listen to the local chit chat, you might want to comment on a subject that's being discussed, you'll have to get your license first.

Cant really compare ham radio to the telephone. Two completely different genre.

ares.gif

Listen to the local chit chat, you might want to comment on a subject that's being discussed, you'll have to get your license first.

Local chit chat? Doesn't everyone know the only thing we talk about on the repeaters are our antennas? :bleh:

There was an article several years ago in QST about a town in Texas that uses hams every year for some parade, they use slow scan tv for the police to keep an eye on things. One transmitter on top of a building, one in a golf cart, I can't remember the rest of it.

During the hurricanes, we would drive around with a laptop, gps, tnc, and the radio and drive around marking the edges of the damage area. We were able to get a very accurate outline map of the area, the Red Cross used it to know where they were and were not needed without having to rely on people coming to them, worked out a lot faster in getting them help.

There are some ham operated satellites, but it depends on where you are if you could hit them. A good dual band ham radio (2meter and 70cm FM) new is about $400, an antenna another $60 - $100. I bought my first dual bander on ebay for around $300 with an antenna.

The dual band radios are easily programmed for local repeaters. They can even be programmed using a computer, in other words plan a trip and program in repeaters along the routes.

HF Single Sideband radios use much bigger antennas and are best used when parked but many do have antennas that can be used while moving. The thing with HF is that you can talk several hundred or thousands of miles with out repeaters.

Another option are satellite cell phones. They are pricey for the per month subscription.

Greg, as far as getting your wife to change her mind, I took my baby sister to Field Day 2002 and that closed the deal, she took the test at the Gainsville hamfest a couple months later. Also, if she is concerned about emergency communications as well, using ham radio you have access to multiple repeaters, if one goes down there is bound to be another that is still chugging. That was the problem emergency services had in Gwinnett in 2000, they only had one trunking machine in Lawrenceville and it went caput. Funny thing was, GARS has a repeater on the same tower and it worked the whole time!

My daughter has been studying the tech exam since Sunday night and she's been passing the practice tests since Tuesday. I've been studying General since Saturday and been passing the practice since Tuesday. It seems like theres a lot of questions repeated on the General from the Tech questions.

I've set a hard and fast budget for the hamfest weekend of $400. Now we'll see if that will buy me an HF station! I bought a Heathkit HF rig for my sister after she passed her test cause she likes history, this one had all the manuals from when the original owner built it, had all his notes, dated and all, paid $100.

Well, my daughter got her tech, I failed the general. Thirty minutes later word had gotten around the hamfest about her passing and people were stopping out of the blue and asking her if she was the young lady who passed her test.

Got a Kenwood TS-820S for $200, and a MFJ Versa Tuner II for $70 so we came out under budget. Playing around with that small slice of 10 meters that has tech voice.

We've both decided to study the whole month of April and take our general upgrades together in May. Then we're gonna work Field Day as a home station-emergency power. My baby sister will be out of school then we're gonna try to get her to come up from Georgia and work it with us.

Hey knowltondata..

Good luck on the studying and the tests. In May the wife and I are going on a road trip with the Toy.About 2500 miles in 3 weeks , so I'll check in afterward on how ya did.