TOWING

ace

I understand that "towing is not recommended", however; need input on this!

I would like to add a hitch to pull my 600# motorcycle and a trailer under 200#. I feel that being under 1000# total weight would be safe, my speed will be kept around 55mph. I'm aware of the "weak frame issues", but I know many have towed this much or more. I was thinking of crossing the supports in an X pattern, to suppress flexing as much as possible and create a bit more support :weight_lift: . Hopefully, some of you can help guide me with this on what you may have seen or done yourself.

My 'TOY' is a '90 Dolphin, V6 automatic. The frame is solid with no rust, good shocks and air bags.

Does anyone have some positive input ???

Thanks in advance,

ACE

Funny you should post this, just this morning I had a trailer hitch added to my 84 Sunrader with a four banger standard trans. as soon as I got home went looking for the steepest hill around with about a 1200 lb trailer, did just fine, pushes a bit down hill, and wont quite climb as fast as usual, had to shift into 2nd a bit earlier. I have driven many trailers including loaded logging trucks on icy hills. The trailer didnt push the toyata around when cornering. Your six cyl will do just fine a standard trans would be better. All we did was put 2X2 heavy wall beams along the existing frames tied in to the truck frame just behind the spring shackles, and put a 2x6 1/4" wall channel rear bumper across the back with the receiver in the center. I had to replace the bumper anyway thanks to a diving error of my boss (she who must be obeyed) Drive carefully, keep the revs up and use the engine for braking as much as possible. You will do fine.

Tony

I added a receiver hitch to my 86 Escaper. In a fit of overkill engineering. I replaced the rear bumper with 1/8" wall 4" square tube.

I cut through the new bumper and pushed an 18" receiver tube through and welded it up flush. The other end of the receiver tube is welded to a cross bar that I added to the reinforced frame. The bumper takes the tongue weight and the cross bar takes the twisting from the trailer going over the bumps.

Neat thing is now I have a good hitch and NOTHING sticks below the bumper to drag.

Intrested in either towing or adding a "rack" to the back of our 4-cyl automatic 86' Escaper. We would really like to either tow or hang a small 180-lb. Honda Aero. The unit has a trailer hitch attached to the bumper and then accrossed to the frame holding the bumper on. I guess I would really like to hang the scooter for mobility purposes but would consider the towing option if it is easier on the MH. Would keep the weight of the trailer and scooter under 500-lbs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Thanks Tony,

I think you're right about coming all the way back from the original frame work. When you say you put 2x2 "heavy wall beams", would you clarify them as a thick u-channel? The 2x6 across the rear sounds like a great modification too.

Dave

The two 2x2's are square tubes with thick walls, they slid in above the grey water pipe we just stitched (6 - 2" welds on each one) them to the Sunraders frame and welded them to the truck frame. Put the receiver tube flush in the center of the 6" bumper with gussets. Made holes in the gussets for the safety chains. Promptly put a dent in the brand new trailer when turning around in the road during the test run. Will extend the tongue of the trailer before heading for Mexico so that doesnt happen again.

Edited by nibs

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we just back from our first real camping trip, lightly loaded trailer (800# estimated) with extended tongue performed fine, 8% mountain grades 2nd gear in places going up, 3rd going down with a need to brake for corners. Weather was not hot so engine heat was not an issue. Didnt record the fuel burn, but it seemed a bit higher than when running without the trailer.

Tony

• 1 month later...

Bear, I got it all welded at a local shop for $125. If I was doing it again I would put the receiver tube above the flange of the 2X6 bumper but at the bottom. I am going to get a 4" drop ball carrier to level the trailer, its a bit nose high. Lowering the receiver a bit would have been better.