Winter camping in the SkiBumMobile

powdrhound

I am pumped. Found my SkiBumMobile last weekend.

My plan is to take the '86 21' Rader up to Kirkwood et.al. for extended ski trips. Beat the morning rush by going the day before the storm, then stay a few days. I like this retired stuff.

Fortunately, my rig is in great shape. Minor stuff to fix. Have to mount a ski rack somewhere. Hope to install a generator soon. (I'll ask about installation details, switches, mufflers, etc. later.) And then I will need to find a small enough microwave to install in one of the overhead compartments. (Amazing how the list grows.)

I have seen the post here about using velcro'd plastic sheeting to seal off the wind under the rig while parked. Good idea. He says Clear. I think Black would gather heat better.

What have you done to YOUR rig to make it winter-worthy? Please tell me about any ski trip adventures (or even better, techniques that work so well that it was NOT an adventure!) I already know that it will be a slow drive up to 7,200'.

I am also in a search for the right tire that will work great in the snow, and still can stand the Valley heat. Then will need to get tire chains/cables. (Why couldn't I find one of the 4x4's? Oh well.)

Are there ways to keep the tanks from freezing? (Other than leaving them empty...)

Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you very much.

powdrhound

I lived in New England when I bought my first Toyhome. I was with a group that did year round camping. There's no practical way to fully insulate the holding tanks. They're slung too low. Some water tanks and lines are inside so that you can hold water for drinking or the sinks. You have to isolate and drain the water heater though. Some of them have bypass valves. Most of us just drained the whole system and used gallon water jugs. We flush the toilet with winter grade windshield washer fluid.

The big problem if you're not hooked to a land power is heating. Most Toys only have a 7.5 gallon propane tank. You'll use about two gallons propane a day if the heater is on half the time. My Dolphin had a removable tank with a rubber hose and I could hook a spare tank. My Winny has a chassis mount tank so I bought a retrofit kit that lets me hook an external tank. This is one

http://www.marshallbrass.com/rv.htm

A skirt around the bottom is a good idea like mobile homes have.

Dual rear wheels have an amazing amount of traction except on ice. I had mud and snow tires at one point but the road noise was terrible. I now carry cable chains. Of course they only go on the outside wheels.

Park with the wind on the opposite side of the heater so it won't blow out. Put a cover over the windshield so that you don't have to clean snow and ice off of it. If you don't have one, make a curtain to separate the cab from the rest of the MH. I know some people that have made inside storm windows out of acrylic plastic.

Get some some heavy plastic foot wipe mats like Wally World has for outside and the entrance. Otherwise you'll have melted snow all over the inside. Have some slippers by the door so you can leave your boots by the door well. If you have carpeting, get cheapo rubber backed carpet to line the inside.

Find a way to put some hangers in the shower stall so you can hang up your wet clothes to dry.

Oh, zip two sleeping bags together for warmth, assuming you'll be with someone. But leave one side zipper open for getting up to use the bathroom. Remember heat rises so the upper birth will be the warmest place.

Good luck