Hello All,

I decided today to drain the transmission pan before my road trip in a few days, I estimated that

I drained out 2.5 to 3 quarts, so I added two quarts in and then decided to drain the container

that I used to catch the transmission fuild, and it added up to slightly more than 1.5 quarts, I

checked the fuild level after I let the trans warm and and went though each gear, and as I

feared I was about a half quart over filled. So....I decided to loosen up the drain plug to

let a half quart drain out, and after about 5 minutes of dripping fuild, I went to tighten up the

drain plug and it fell out and about the time I got the plug back in, I probably dropped 1.5 quarts.

I decide I had enough for one night and decide to complete the fill and level checks in the morning.

As I lay under the truck, I noticed that my entire bottom of the transmission was covered with

about a 1/4 inch of baked on mud. I figured that the baked on mug has to add a few degrees

of heat to the transmission since no air flow is getting through the mud. I took a brass brush

and after about 5 minutes of brushing, I had a nice clean aluminum transmission pan and

transmission hub. I might be wrong, but I figure I my transmission might run a bit cooler since

the passing air can now wick away some of the transmission heat.

Dennis...

They make a finned aluminum pan for transmissions on some vehicles.

Some after market outfits made pans with tubes welded in them front to back so the air would pass thru them and cool the fluid. Never sure how all that worked out but it sounded good.