Repainting Interior/ Covering Countertops

Escaper86

My wife and I are looking to upgrade the look of our '86 Escaper. The previous owners let the interior degrade, and neither of us loves the look of the fake woodgrain anyway. Inspecting it closely, it looks like there is a variety of surfaces - some of the drawers are actual wood, which will be easy enough to repaint, but some of them are particle board with a fake wood laminate on it, and some of the edges of the cabinets look like a hard vinyl. 

I'm wondering if it's enough to just sand the heck out of the fake wood laminate, or if there being little tiny bits of it left over on the particle board is going to cause the paint job to fall apart. I'd also like to know if anyone has successfully painted the vinyl edging. 

One more thing we'd like to change is the countertops - right now they're a basic light brown, made out of the material that I've seen in countless photos on here. I don't know the actual name of the product. Has anyone had success with either painting or somehow resurfacing these countertops? They look like they're made out of some kind of material that resists stains, and I'm wondering if that means it will resist alteration of any kind. 

Thanks in advance!