question: should i contact paypal or take loss on deal with shady seller

Well i iniated the puchase of a good looking rv, i told them i would buy it now for 8000. three things made me feel comfortable, 1, they stated 1000. deposit they deliver rv for cost of gas which meant they are sure it would make the long trip, peace of mind 2. they said there is absoultey no water damage, ever smell wrinkled walls etc, i asked again and again i want a dry rig and no 3. the seller willing to deliver made me feel confident in the quality of his description

after i agreed to buy she sent invoice stating she needs payment in fulll **

what changed from her listing where they were "happy" to deliver

she tried to get me to send 2500!!! i agreed and thank god she couldnt change the downpayment number

i sent a thousand, they said vehicle would be delivered overweekend i call the next day to see if they made travel plans

donna says were gonna give you 300 so you and a friend can fly to gulfport and rv an go to new orleans

I work for a railroad and make good money i havent extra time to take off, and all the things about the deal that made me confident were gone, there are a lot of nice rvs if you have the time to go pick them up.

the TOPPER I PUT THE PICS OF OVERCAB BUNK ON MY 32" PLASM w hdmi cable AND I COULD THEN SEE CLEARLY YELLOW WATER STATINS DRIPPING FROM CEILING TO WINDOW IN AN AREA OF ABOUT 18" WIDE. I KNEW I COULD NOT TRUST A WORD OUT OF HER MOUTH SHE SWORE I WAS A LIAR UNTIL SHE PULLED THE PICS UP AND SAID "I SEE IT JAY BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT THAT IS"

thankfully it did not cost me 8600. what do you think??

on their side they did keep in contact with me

she did refund 900. out of 1000 and paypay cost me 26

im going to take it as a learning experience but there is a part of me that wants my refund i full do to the cricumstance above, esp water damage pics i had the right to end deal

I

a few thoughts....

From the information you provided, sounds like the seller isn't too shady, otherwise she would of

kept the entire $1,000 deposit. I am amazed you got $900 back.

If you funded your paypal transaction with a credit card, you can go directly to your credit card

company and place a hold on the $100. The credit card company will do it immediately, but

will request that you mail them in writing the reason in the next 10 or so days. The credit card

company will immediately put a hold on the $100, pulling it back from Paypal, and then the

seller will be provided an opportunity to provide a reason to keep the $100. Since she still

has the RV, the credit card company should treat it as a failed transaction and reject any of

the sellers reasons.

Good luck and keep us updated,

Dennis....

i have to say i hope other people do comment also, thanks and i dont know about the way paypal works but it seems to pay with creditcard is then your best protection. I really wanted the rv and had sugg 2500 dp to commit to the delivery. I should not use the word shady really she has good feedback, she sugg she could keep my deposit entirely and i agreed on the loss, without checking into it, as i really just want to continue the hunt for a good rig i have been on the phone and ebay for two months, bid on three in that time,

I have followed your search and when you said an eBay seller agreed to deliver for only fuel and a trip to the airport I was a little skeptical but I held my tongue.

Ebay, paypal, and your credit card company do not cover "deposits", only purchases. That said, you can file a dispute with eBay/paypal saying that the seller changed the terms and conditions after the end of the auction. This might be your only chance of recovering the remaining $$$.

Understand that eBay will charge the seller even though there was not a completed sale. Motor vehicles are dealt with differently than their normal "goods for sale" auctions. I doubt that the $100 will cover what the seller will be charged but that should not be your problem.

Time and money are on opposite ends of the equation.

When you have the money do do something you usually do not have the time to do it.

When you have the time to do something you usually do not have the money to do it

If you are still looking for a Toyota, I just saw the below on Craigslist...23,000 original miles

and a 5 speed manual!!!! it is the best model Toyota ever made...the Odyssey...

(okay...I just happen to own a 1990 Odyssey...:-)

Toyota Odyssey Motorhome - $10000 (Fryeburg, Maine)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply to: sale-727021881@craigslist.org

Date: 2008-06-20, 8:06PM EDT

1989 Toyota Chassis

1990 Odyssey Camper

21’

Custom built.

23,000 original miles

Very rare 6 cylinder with 5 speed manual transmission

15-16 miles per gallon

6 New tires

New Deep Cell Battery

New exhaust

Full kitchen – stove, oven, fridge, and double sink

Full bath – toilet, shower, sink

Propane hot water heater

Propane Furnace

Storage closet

Sleeps 4

Dinette – converts to double bed

Awning

Receiver Hitch

All systems in good working condition

Currently registered and inspected

Very clean and well cared for

Thats funny, I thought that Sunrader was the best model ever made.....ok ok ok ...I own a 86 Sunrader....

As far as your experiance in things not going as expected in your purchase. I to am suprised you got $900.00 back. This tells me that the seller does have some integrity. Sounds like it was a case of mis-communication on her part and also your willingess to belive basically sight unseen her conception of the condition of the motorhome. I have had the exact same thing happen to me when I was the winning bidder of a e-bay boat auction. I was going by the pictures posted in the auction (looked awesome). I drove the 130 miles (cash in hand) to pick up the boat and when I seen it it did not look like the same boat in the pictures (very poor condition). I too question the seller on the condition of the boat based on the pictures. He reasurred me that the boat was in "good" condition and if I was not satisfied I would not have to buy it. Long story short, he admitted (face to face) that the pictues were old and I did not buy the baot. Moral of the story....Some time even pictures can be deceiving and I NEVER bye sight unseen (unless an agreement has be made allowng the buyer to back out of the deal based on visual inspection). Also check out my "New Member Signed Up for Midwest Toy In" post for a short story on being alll set to buy a Dolphin and ending up not buying it,

I think you should be happy you got your $900.00 back and not stuck with a motorhome that was in poor condition. Maybe, based on your time schedule, it might be more benificial to chalk it up to experiance lesson learned than to persue the $100.00...

thanks for the replies, I acutually wanted the exclude the shady, from the title of this post but could not edit the title, i dont think the seller was shady, just changed all terms of aggreement, i am grateful that she did refund the 900.oo. thanks for the ref to the odyssey dennis, inever done well with a stick, but would appreciate the control i would have in the winter driving. And the ever illussive sunrader, i almost got the 86 with 18,000 orig miles for 8500 but worried about the five lug and the finding and updating to a six.. i drove a 22re, and am satisfied with the pickup, i also drove a 3.0 efi last week and am leaning towards the 22r more low torque and bulletproof rep. regards and good find dennis someone is prob already smilin behind the wheel

If you want to get more low end pull change the rear end gearing.

"Most" Toyota motor homes will have 4.10:1 rear end gears.

I dropped the gearing in the diesel from 4.10:1 to 4.56:1 and the increase in actual to the road power was astonishing. I will be changing the gearing to 4.56:1 in my V-6 soon.

You will lose top end speed but I doubt that very few of us would be traveling at 90-100 mph anyway (I did take the sunrader up to 95 on my way back from California just to see what it would do wound up.... It was a little scary but not too bad as there was no wind blowing to push it around... I won't miss going fast as long as I can cruise at 70 when I want to).

Be sure to search craigslist, here is a global engine you can use

to search all of the cities in craigslist

http://search.restrainingbolt.com

Odds are you might find a better deal on craigslist than ebay.

Dennis...

I use CraigsPal for my global craigslist searches http://www.craigspal.com/ its free and you can select deselect all the craigslist locations. In other words I can select the San Francisco region and just the Sacramento region or what ever I want for my searches.

Greg