1980 Dolphin

Truman K

Just found this forum as I was looking for more info on the 1980 dolphin I just bought and it looks like this is the most helpful place online for it. I am looking for any advice or problems or warnings people might have on this thing. I am remodeling the interior and planning on living in it once it’s finished! Thanks in advance! 

6 hours ago, linda s said:

First and most important is the axle. Do you have single wheels in the back or duallys.  If they are duallys do you have 6 lugs or 5. 5 lugs means you have the fake duallys which can break the axle

Linda S

It has the 5 lugs, any idea how much of a concern/cost of getting new 6 lugs would be?

A whole lot of money. 2 grand at least. How big is your camper. I know Dolphin made a little one. If so you could switch to single wheels and some suspension upgrades for less money. Picture? How mechanical are you. Of course if you can do it yourself it's always way better

Linda S

47 minutes ago, linda s said:

A whole lot of money. 2 grand at least. How big is your camper. I know Dolphin made a little one. If so you could switch to single wheels and some suspension upgrades for less money. Picture? How mechanical are you. Of course if you can do it yourself it's always way better

Linda S

I do not know the length at the moment, I can find out tomorrow. It is the model with the tag axle if that helps. If I am replacing it, do you know what axle would fit? I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but I have friends and family that are mechanics that would help if I found the right axle. I will post pictures tomorrow when I get to my shop! 

So just to be clear. You have 8 tires? Man it's bad enough just having to buy 6. I know many will disagree with me but I have never heard of a tag axle breaking. If your careful not to overload it too much I would change nothing. Just always run the duallys with at least 5  lbs less air on the outside dually. What kind of tires are on it now. Lots of times owners put crappy tires on to save money. Your going to be living in this. Crappy tires are a no no. Old tires are a no no too. 6 to 7 years max

Linda S

It's very old, New wheel bearings and an axle inspection are in order. Unless you've got a receipt you have to assume it was never done.

On 2/7/2021 at 1:33 AM, linda s said:

So just to be clear. You have 8 tires? Man it's bad enough just having to buy 6. I know many will disagree with me but I have never heard of a tag axle breaking. If your careful not to overload it too much I would change nothing. Just always run the duallys with at least 5  lbs less air on the outside dually. What kind of tires are on it now. Lots of times owners put crappy tires on to save money. Your going to be living in this. Crappy tires are a no no. Old tires are a no no too. 6 to 7 years max

Linda S

It's very old, New wheel bearings and an axle inspection are in order. Unless you've got a receipt you have to assume it was never done.

Here are some photos of what I’m talking about with the tag axle. 

83EE4430-A27D-496D-A425-DA4835EE5642.jpeg

4FD482EF-9B6A-42A6-9187-E6E7B30E8E7C.jpeg