Fellow Toyota inhabitants,

Let me preface this post by stating that I am in no way mechanically inclined. I am simply a man who lives in a motorhome who needs a bit of advice from those who know better than me.

My 1985 Toyota Sunland Express (Automatic Trans) is making a shuttering noise in first and reverse. It has been diagnosed as a problem with the planetary gears in the transmission. Apparently one is loose and wavering around inside it's housing.

As you might guess from someone who lives in a Toyota motorhome, I don't have enough money for a rebuild.

Another option I am considering is trying to find a rebuilt used transmission that I can replace mine with. I hope this might be cheaper than rebuilding the current one. One probem is I don't have the specifications for my vehicle to know exactly what tranny I have. From research I've done on the net, I've gathered that it might be a W56 or a A340F, but I really have no idea.

Please someone tell me how I can know for certain what trans I have, where I can find them used and if there are other transmissions that will fit with my vehicle.

Thank you so much for the help.

Best to you all.

Info that might help:

1985 Toyota Sunland Express

50,000 miles

Dual back wheels

22RE engine

I don't know where you are at but I changed out my Automatic 87 Dolphin to a 5 speed Manual, so have a perfectly good Auto for sale with Temp Guage and extra Transmission cooler $500 for pickup in San Diego.

I would recommend taking it to a transmission shop or a good shop that understands transmissions. The low and reverse use an entirely different applications inside the trans. You may have some thing as simple as a bad universal joint.