I am the third owner of a 1992 toyota dolphin with v6, 90k miles. The first owner had the gasket recall at 15k miles. The second owner had another head gasket put on at 88k. I know these engines have to work twice as hard pulling the weight they do. I wonder if this engine can go the distance without too many problems?

Edited by Smity

• 7 months later...

Because I'm in the market for a Winnebago or Itasca (321RB or 320RB), which by definition is a V6, I asked my mechanic what repairs he had to do with the 3.0L engine. Now, just to give you his credentials, this man repairs everything from electric cars to diesel dumps and busses, and they get repaired correctly the first time. My credentials are that I used to build *winning* race cars. Mechanic builds *winning* drag tractors. He and I have built some rather strong vehicles these past years. So I was a bit surprised to learn that the V6 head gasket is not something to be concerned about (provided you don't over-heat your engine, which means keeping the cooling system working well). Instead, he cautioned me that what he fixed the most (over a dozen of the 3.0L v6 engines) was valve seats destroyed by valves pressing too hard on the head because the driver continually lugged the engine. Toyota's replacement parts (seats, valves, guides, keepers etc) are better than original, but my mechanic shakes his head & says "It's a nasty job David, costs about $2,500 & I hate doing it. It's not a simple job." So today I challenged him "I bet not one of those engines were in front of an auto, they all were on 5-speed manual trans." He pondered, said "Could be. I don't recall any automatics, now that you mention it. Mostly 4Runners pulling large trailers..."

That auto's ECT button, for uphill and in surging traffic, looks better and better to me.

As for the engine "going the distance", I've come across Toyota-chassis Winnebagos & Itascas with odometers at 107k, 120k, and 137k. Suckers are still running.

Recognize that trying to drive from Albequerque to Flagstaff at 75 uphill against a wind with 6.5k lbs total load (6k being max which doesn't leave much for gear, food, water, waste, and of course mere people), a quart low of old oil, a cup low on antifreeze, the A/C pumping on "high", the outside temp 105deg, and the octane at 85 (let's hear it for corn) well you can probably count on the engine getting a little bent out of shape and letting you know about it. :Poster_oops:

The gasket problem was due to our wonderful government making Toyota stop using asbestos impregnated gaskets. The replacement gaskets did not last.

I met a person who serviced a fleet of Toyota one ton trucks. He alleged that he had to adjust the valves by 80,000 miles or he would experience burnt valves.

The timing chain should also be replaced by then.

There is an obscure problem with piston rings on the V6. If the engine seriously overheats the rings can deform and they do not go back.

Because I'm in the market for a Winnebago or Itasca (321RB or 320RB), which by definition is a V6, I asked my mechanic what repairs he had to do with the 3.0L engine. Now, just to give you his credentials, this man repairs everything from electric cars to diesel dumps and busses, and they get repaired correctly the first time. My credentials are that I used to build *winning* race cars. Mechanic builds *winning* drag tractors. He and I have built some rather strong vehicles these past years. So I was a bit surprised to learn that the V6 head gasket is not something to be concerned about (provided you don't over-heat your engine, which means keeping the cooling system working well). Instead, he cautioned me that what he fixed the most (over a dozen of the 3.0L v6 engines) was valve seats destroyed by valves pressing too hard on the head because the driver continually lugged the engine. Toyota's replacement parts (seats, valves, guides, keepers etc) are better than original, but my mechanic shakes his head & says "It's a nasty job David, costs about $2,500 & I hate doing it. It's not a simple job." So today I challenged him "I bet not one of those engines were in front of an auto, they all were on 5-speed manual trans." He pondered, said "Could be. I don't recall any automatics, now that you mention it. Mostly 4Runners pulling large trailers..."

That auto's ECT button, for uphill and in surging traffic, looks better and better to me.

As for the engine "going the distance", I've come across Toyota-chassis Winnebagos & Itascas with odometers at 107k, 120k, and 137k. Suckers are still running.

Recognize that trying to drive from Albequerque to Flagstaff at 75 uphill against a wind with 6.5k lbs total load (6k being max which doesn't leave much for gear, food, water, waste, and of course mere people), a quart low of old oil, a cup low on antifreeze, the A/C pumping on "high", the outside temp 105deg, and the octane at 85 (let's hear it for corn) well you can probably count on the engine getting a little bent out of shape and letting you know about it. :Poster_oops: