Hi Im new to this forum with a new to me 92 Dolphin V6 with 90K. I know that you turn off OD when going thru hills when the transmission is hunting gears. I also read the shift points are different when using the ECT switch. Im not sure when you use the ECT? Is there a situation when you use one over the other or both at the same time? In city traffic do you drive with OD on and the ECT switch off?

Thanks Smity

The "don't use OD" suggestion is for the 22re/auto combination (4 cyl not for the V6 trans). The V6 comes with an external trans oil cooler factory installed but you still should not lug the engine in OD (use common sense when driving)

With ECT "on" it will make the trans shift at higher engine RPMs so use this when you feel that it would be appropriate such as when driving in hills where you are constantly going up and down and need the engine to stay at a higher rpm longer in a lower gear to pull.

When I had the ECU reprogrammed on my 1991 V6 Sunrader the normal shift points were raised 500-800 rpm so it is like driving with ECT on all the time when it is off and the engine winds up like a top with it engaged.

• 3 weeks later...

I take the overdrive off when I am cruising down the highway and when I just start up a hill,

I leave it in overdrive until I notice that I am starting to slow down. When I take it out of

overdrive, it will down shift on me and I am able to keep my speed (usually between 55 and 60mph)

all the way up the hill.

I use my ECT at speeds in the range of 20mph to 45mph, on hills. If I find myself merging onto

a highway or hitting a hill while driving in the city, the ECT usually gets me the power or extra time

in the gear that I am in to get me over the hill or up to highway speed.

Between the two (Overdrive and ECT), I use the overdrive (or take it out of) about 90% of the time

vs about 10% of the time for the ECT.

Unless the road is very level, I will not use my cruise control, the slightis hill will force a down shift.

On most hills, I can just give it a little more pedal to hold the speed and to keep it in overdrive, if

I give it too much pedal, I will get the down shift.

Dennis...