Am I ready to install new vent?

Hey, just wanted a 2nd opinion. I got rid of what appears to be the majority (95%?) of the old sealant and butyl tape. What remains is the gray really really hard material from previous (or previous previous previous) owner. Am I good to begin installing my vent? Or should I scrape further? Any thoughts appreciated 🙏  

For whatever reason the website won’t let me post photos on this so I will try as a separate comment in same topic. 

I'd do a little more scraping where I see it bumping up and then steel wool it all around gray areas. Put the vent in place then and see if it feels tippy at all and look for an even rise from roof all around. The butyl will fill and gaps easily then. Make sure you use enough so it squeezes out all around the edges when screwing down. Clean up excess with plastic putty knife straight up and down all around edge. Excess will peel right up then

Linda S

Thank you Linda. You're becoming a household name over here. 

21 minutes ago, linda s said:

I'd do a little more scraping where I see it bumping up and then steel wool it all around gray areas. Put the vent in place then and see if it feels tippy at all and look for an even rise from roof all around. The butyl will fill and gaps easily then. Make sure you use enough so it squeezes out all around the edges when screwing down. Clean up excess with plastic putty knife straight up and down all around edge. Excess will peel right up then

Linda S

6 hours ago, linda s said:

Well I have been here since the beginning of time. LOL

Linda S

Hahah! 

I cleaned it up pretty good and feel it’s nearly ready for the butyl tape and sealant. Just wondering now if there’s any need to plug the previous screw holes that are empty now, because they don’t line up with the new roof vent. I saw on some video they skipped that part without saying anything about it. Is it unnecessary because of the butyl tape seal?