Holy Hell that carpet!!

AprilOstara

Hey there!

So I'm redoing the interior of my 84 Sunrader and have pulled out most of the horrific and stinky orange shag carpet. Sure is tough to get the edges! Using a utility knife, is there anything better to use?

I got some nice "oak" peal and stick, simply because I'm on a budget and read up that its good stuff.  I'm assuming just clean the floor real good after i get the carpet out, then go at it.....

Any useful tips from anyone who has done this would be helpful. 

Thanks!

Some people say peel and stick doesn't last in an RV but I've had mine in there for 6 years and I've had no trouble it's pretty easy to lay down and looks great when finished. You can buy aluminum edge molding at Lowe's or home Depot

4 hours ago, ednelson100 said:

Some people say peel and stick doesn't last in an RV but I've had mine in there for 6 years and I've had no trouble it's pretty easy to lay down and looks great when finished. You can buy aluminum edge molding at Lowe's or home Depot

Thanks!, So the edge molding goes around the edges after i apply the peel and stick stuff? Do i leave a little space for the edging?  I will give the stick stuff a shot and if it doesn't hold up in a few years hopefully ill be in a financial spot to be able to buy something better.

Yes peel and stick can work great. I'm guessing yours are the long strips? Either way, go over the floor with your hands and make sure there are no bumps that you can't see, They will show in finished product so smooth them down. Then start in the middle. and work out, long way. Irregularities won't be noticeable at the edges. Helps to use something to roll over the floor to really lock it down. A rolling pin, a wine bottle, piece of PVC pipe. Just make sure whatever you use is perfectly smooth . The aluminum edge molding is a must at stair steps and cab to coach. It goes right over the flooring so don't worry about leaving gap. You want it over to prevent lifting

Linda S

10 hours ago, linda s said:

The aluminum edge molding is a must at stair steps and cab to coach. It goes right over the flooring so don't worry about leaving gap.

Linda S

That's right and also if you have a step up to the dining table.