Noob planning to install awning rail

tstockma

My '86 New Horizons never had an awning installed, and I'm reading up on 'em.  Initial research seems to show I can commonly find 8' to 14' rails, and rails mainly come in one style, the extruded round tube aka rail with a slot opening to allow the awning's mounting fastener(s) of what style I choose, to slide into.  At first i thought these usually are riveted or screwed into the sheet metal of the siding, as high as I can gracefully mount it, making sure I clear the door as it swings open etc.  Use butyl tape for waterproofing.

image.png.da7f1f008d20c80c142ea8c5d729526a.png

However, conventional riveting/screwing into the sheet metal is probably my main question...  I would have thought I'd be targeting solid frame behind the sheet metal to support the weight, but most posts I've seen here, and instructions I find via google, seem to say rivets or sheet metal screws is SOP.   However - I've seen at least one post here indicating screwing into actual frame is also done.

If simple use of sheet metal screws into siding is not enough, I need to know how I find the frame behind the siding.   This next picture is the area over the door, I think of this as "conventional RV" construction (at least, conventional 80's style).  Awning rail will go front-to-rear over this doorway.    Is there wood frame going fore-and-aft along this roofline, so wherever I'm trying to screw the rail just below the roof trim, going into framing wood?  That's be fine - screws every few inches in the rail make it plenty secure.  Thoughts & recommendations, anyone?

awning_track_location_sm.jpg.33301a39af7bc7e6ea7eee48aaa2a71a.jpg

Edited by tstockma

1 hour ago, tstockma said:

Is there wood frame going fore-and-aft along this roofline, so wherever I'm trying to screw the rail just below the roof trim, going into framing wood?  That's be fine - screws every few inches in the rail make it plenty secure.  Thoughts & recommendations, anyone?

Your right on, screw the rail just below the roof line and you'll hit solid wood.