Key search terms to use when looking for parts (EDIT)

I'm new to the forum. I have what I believe is a 1987 Dolphin. I'm writing to ask you all, the powers greater than me alone, the hive mind, the great group conscious conscience, WHAT are some helpful terms to use online for when searching for make, model, engine, year, details, etc.

I'm confused because I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong, that this 1986 Toyota is actually a 1987 Toyota Dolphin. That the truck was made in 1986 and the RV was assembled and sold as the 1987 model. The person who sold this model (400 - L-Shaped bench style according to the catalog only made in 87 not 86) to me told me that it is a 1986.

Additionally, I assume that there are many parts that fit whatever chassis this is and if I only knew what I was looking for I'd probably have a heck-of-a-lot of an easier time searching and finding parts.

Thanks in advance. I feel lucky to have found you all so early in my journey with this Dolphin!

While your at it, I invite you to post your favorite Toyota Motorhome slang or shorthand.

Edited by iamblakeh

7 minutes ago, linda s said:

OK so you do know that no Toyota motorhomes were made in 97. It has to be 94 or earlier. I'm guessing 1986 to 1987? 

Linda S

YES. But apparently I'm stuck in the 90's so I was making the same decade-related typo repeatedly. I've edited it now. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Derek up North said:

If you've got 5 lug rims up front and 6 lugs on the rear (with '6 hand-hole' rims), then it's a 1986 chassis. Deciphering the VIN should confirm this.

Thank you Derek! That's what I have. I appreciate you taking the time to help.

So, what model is the chassis exactly? What model should I be searching for as I search for chassis related items? Specifically, leaf-springs and/or suspension related items. But also, brakes, bearings, etc.  (I'm sure there will be more down the road)

Your model number should be on a tag inside the engine compartment on the fire wall. Your vin is what most part places will use to search your parts. Very important that you know your drivers side rear wheel has left hand threads. Opposite of normal lug nuts

Linda S

I believe the 1986 Toyota Cab & Chassis (C&C) was the Model 'RN75'.  RN75 will also be part of your VIN.

Don't waste your time going to the auto parts store asking for parts for a 'Dolphin' or 'Toyota Dolphin'. Chances are they won't have that listed in their computer. :)

They might have listings for a 'Toyota Cab & Chassis - Dual Rear Wheel (DRW)'.

image.png.2dfa66a11ab6d554530efb587a668527.png