Storage hatch with interior metal box question

TravisJ

Bought an 87 Sunrader a few weeks ago and started pulling windows today to reseal.  Found some rot under the middle window near the kitchen.  Pulled off the soft panelling and followed it down under the chair near the power converter.  There is a small (4"x8" ) soft spot in the floor that I am going to fix, and will need to pull the metal storage box out to get to it.  But what I am noticing is that someone cut the top off the storage box, so its now basically a huge vent under the seat.  My question is do I really need this box at all?  I am going to have to rebuild this seat and box area after making the floor repair...but is internal and external access important?  Do you all find a use for this storage area, or any ideas on what it was meant for originally?  Looking for ideas on a sensible way to rebuild it.

--Travis

IMG_2551.jpg

IMG_2554.jpg

Nope box not supposed to be internal, external pathway. It's supposed to have a top on it. If the original owner added a generator option the exterior door would be vented and that is where your generator would be. On yours it was just meant for storage. Most of us wouldn't want to delete storage areas cause we don't have much space. Whether you seal it again or not depends on what you want to put in there. Obviously fuel or any kind batteries or anything that could vent toxic fumes needs to be in a sealed space

Linda S

On 5/24/2020 at 9:22 PM, linda s said:

Nope box not supposed to be internal, external pathway. It's supposed to have a top on it. If the original owner added a generator option the exterior door would be vented and that is where your generator would be. On yours it was just meant for storage. Most of us wouldn't want to delete storage areas cause we don't have much space. Whether you seal it again or not depends on what you want to put in there. Obviously fuel or any kind batteries or anything that could vent toxic fumes needs to be in a sealed space

Linda S

thx @linda s, makes sense.  i'll build it back into a sealed box when i redo the seat area.