we're just about to get this 83 sunrader, just waiting for the seller to replace a worn axle, so now the question is if a 1-ton axle is needed even for a 17ft rig (which makes 6-lug rims necessary) or if 1/2 ton would be fine again, too.

anyone knows of axle incidents of tiny toys with 1/2-tons?

what's a good (cheap) source of these axles around NY state?

thx, everyone,

thilo

Edited by thilo

we're just about to get this 83 sunrader, just waiting for the seller to replace a worn axle, so now the question is if a 1-ton axle is needed even for a 17ft rig (which makes 6-lug rims necessary) or if 1/2 ton would be fine again, too.

anyone knows of axle incidents of tiny toys with 1/2-tons?

what's a good (cheap) source of these axles around NY state?

I replaced the axle in my 17' about 14 years ago (the week I purchased it)

Here is a discussion from someone who had their light duty axle come apart on them on an identical year and model as the one you are considering purchasing if you want to do some reading (complete with photos).

http://www.toyotamotorhome.org/forums/inde...?showtopic=1132

You may want to contact Rich who posted in that thread. He has some 1 ton axles and rims. He is in Michigan which is not too far from you.

• 2 weeks later...

www.car-part.com typically has several listed for sale. I'll be ordering one soon.....I'm the '83 owner who had the recent failure. I highly recommend everyone replace the 5-lug. Axles are easy to find. Wheels are pretty easy to find. Leaf springs are proving difficult to find. They can always be made by a spring shop but I find $500 for a pair to be too pricey for something I *should* be able to find at the wrecking yard.

Get the salvage yard to include the springs when you purchase the axle. If you can find an 1985/86 donor truck they will also have front 5 to 6 lug rotor adapters. Get them also, along with 7 six lug rims (6 on the ground and 1 spare).

The early (85/85) 1 ton axles will have left hand threads on the driver's side rear. You can replace the studs or try to remember that the lug nuts turn the opposite direction to loosen.

I've kept the left hand threaded studs on my replaced axle.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered an '88 1-ton full floating DRW axle, 4 wheels with almost new Bridgestone tires, swaybar, shocks and springs for $600. Shipping from south Alabama to Amarillo, TX was $300. Local 4x4 fabrication shop will be doing the install/fabrication next week. I plan to post a writeup hopefully with pictures. That depends on how friendly they are to me hanging around with the camera documenting the progress.

I ordered an '88 1-ton full floating DRW axle, 4 wheels with almost new Bridgestone tires, swaybar, shocks and springs for $600. Shipping from south Alabama to Amarillo, TX was $300. Local 4x4 fabrication shop will be doing the install/fabrication next week. I plan to post a writeup hopefully with pictures. That depends on how friendly they are to me hanging around with the camera documenting the progress.

If your truck has the vertical mounted shocks (ones that go from the axle straight up to the round cross member like this / \ ) you should go to your Toyota dealer and have them order you some later model frame mounted top shock attachments and have the 4x4 shop weld them on. That way you can use the later model shocks (which are easier to locate and give better dampening then the earlier design)