Problems while "plugged in"

jayemright

Hello,

We are the new owners of an '85 Sunrader currently working the bugs out of it before a summer of travels (we are teachers) The coach battery is not charging when I plug it in at home. It charges quite well when the engine is running. The battery is only a couple years old and the alternator is new. Also in what may be a related problem, the 3-way fridge was popping the circuit breaker in the house after about 10 seconds. Mind you, "shore power" in this case was a 15 amp line running from my garage on an extension cord, so that may explain that-perhaps these fridges draw a lot of current. It looks as though the previous owner did a lot of work on the electrical system, there is a new isolater etc. Although I haven't dug into it too much, it also appears that the 120 v lines in the camper do not work, but the roof AC does work when plugged in. Is there an obvious problem that I am overlooking, is this, as I suspect, a combination of difficulties. Also, how long can I expect the coach battery to last with just lights and the occasional use of water.

Thanks,

James

Usually the charging system is direct wired to the main breaker (30 amp) in the breaker panel. So as soon as you plug it in the charger starts to work (there is a relay inside that switches between inverter and battery). The A/C and the outlets are on separate breakers one 15 amp (outlets) and the other 20 (A/C) So it sounds like you have an issue with your 120 volt wiring. This may also explain your house breaker problem as the fridge plugs into an outlet in the coach. Try unplugging the fridge and plugging it in direct to your extension cord. Hopefully you can fine some one local that can help you with the wiring it’s best not to fool with it unless you know what you are doing it is bonded to the frame of the MH and you really don’t need a hot frame in your truck! I would be real skeptical if the old owner said he has done some work to the wiring. The charging system leaves a lot to be desired it is poorly regulated and will boil the water out of your battery if you leave it plugged in. If you don’t mind spending some money on the charging system get a new 3 stage charger/inverter. As far as the battery I’ll guess 4-5 years with proper maintenance.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. The existing converter was replaced in 95, so I am thinking it is probably due. I have seen them on e-bay for around $100. Would one of those be easy to replace-just make sure incoming lines go to the right places and the outgoing lines go to the right places? Any particular model or size better than the other?

THanks

James

Tough answer there were different kinds of inverter/chargers some of them you could upgrade some you can’t (I had one of them). What I did with mine was remove the entire old unit and rewire I kept the basic box because it had the breakers and 120 volt wiring but tossed the charger/inverter. I probably lost 25# of old junk that thing weighted a ton! A good place to ask questions is bestconverter.com very knowable people and they probably have the best prices around also. Send them an email with what you have for a converter and they should be able to tell what is available for your unit. 45 amps should be all you would need the new units are so much better they even cut back the charge rate to give you all the 12 volt power you need when plugged in. I personally like the Xantrex chargers they make all kinds of solar inverters and controllers and we have had really good luck with them. They are not hard to wire because they have none of the old style relays and junk the old ones had just 120v in and 12 volts out so your load and charge wiring tie together one to the battery and the other to the 12 volt lights etc.

Thanks very much. I looked on the site and will tear into mine a bit on the weekend and get the info off to them. Sounds like the way to go. The old one is a pretty nasty looking old beast. I may choose a solar input for our rig as we grow into it. Heading to a folk festival this weekend with the camper.

BTW where is Brownfield Maine? We are 3 miles from the Maine border near Bridgewater, Aroostook County

Have a good one,

James

Hello,

The inverter and breaker box on my 85 Sunrader are in the bottom of the sink cabinet, right near where the "shore power" plug comes out of the coach body. Are you having difficulties as well?

All the Best,

James

Before you replace anything you should go over the connections with a good VOM and check for blown DC fuses and AC breakers. Check the coach battery at the posts when plugged in to see if the voltage is over 13 volts (will be if the unit is charging). Check the battery while plugged into AC and then unplug and start the engine. Voltages at the coach battery should be close under both charging methods.

Your old inverter is a trickle charger and may take several days to charge your battery when plugged into AC current.

If you want to replace your inverter you should take a look at the tutorial I wrote last year

http://www.toymike.com/converter/

If you are not comfortable working with electricity (AC and DC) get someone to do this for you as you can zap yourself very easily just poking around.

well, here's a newbie question...where is the breaker box, invertor/charger located on the coach?

thanks!

It depends on the age, manufacture, and layout of your coach.

It could be anywhere....

What do you have (year, manufacture, length, and interior layout)?