'86 Toyota Dolphin Check Engine Light/ Running Problem

My '86 Toyota Dolphin 1 ton dually RV runs fine until the check engine light comes on and cuts the motor off. If you leave it alone for a couple of hours it fires right back up and runs fine... until it repeats this process with no set pattern.

On last summer's 2400 mile trip, this pattern happened... stranding us four times. The engine light came on about 40 times but it only stranded us about four times. Three mechanics have looked at it, but the problem is yet to be solved.

Coil has been replaced, coil ignitor replaced, terminals and connections cleaned... all to no avail.

Would removal of any after market accessories be a good place to start?

Check on line about retrieving engine codes the control unit will store codes they are not real smart like the OBD 2 but it may help you out. They work by flashing the engine light in sequence then you refer to a look up table. If it came on as many times as you said, my guess it’s probably was an O2 sensor code but that will not make the engine quit. Good luck seems like they tried the usual stuff. On general principles I would change the fuel filter I would bet $5 that it never has been changed because it is a real pain to get to. That will make it quit and restart after awhile.

• 1 year later...

My '86 Toyota Dolphin 1 ton dually RV runs fine until the check engine light comes on and cuts the motor off. If you leave it alone for a couple of hours it fires right back up and runs fine... until it repeats this process with no set pattern.

On last summer's 2400 mile trip, this pattern happened... stranding us four times. The engine light came on about 40 times but it only stranded us about four times. Three mechanics have looked at it, but the problem is yet to be solved.

Coil has been replaced, coil ignitor replaced, terminals and connections cleaned... all to no avail.

Would removal of any after market accessories be a good place to start?

You might also check your fuel pump. Mine was located inside of the fuel tank and the pickup screen got pluged. after setting for a while it would start again and i could go for about 30mi than have the same problem. I found out that if i kept the tank full never less than 1/4 i was allwright. good luck. RalphE